17.1|| Middle names

Sam had never been a fan of his grandmother's visits, but this time, it was a more than welcomed distraction. It also came with a bitter sweet feeling of childhood memories as well as new criticism that sort of ruined everything. But given his evil plan to possibly give her a heart attack by springing Ron on her, he was going to be more lenient.

"Why are you all slouching?" she asked from her place on the couch in the living room ."I told you a million times not to slouch? And can't you be more discreet?" She nudged Sam in the chest with her walking stick. "All my friends are discussing your breakup."

"Good to know, Grandma," he mumbled, pulling away as much as the couch allowed him and rubbing her chest.

"Grandmother. You're still mumbling and not finishing your words."

Could Ron show up faster, please? Fortunately, Grandma had four more targets she could focus her attention on, so the subject of Christine was dropped.

"You're still big," she said to Kyle.

He didn't even flinch from his position leaning on the back of the armchair Jimmy occupied. "I think that's how aging works. Fat chance I'll get smaller."

"I heard you're living with your girlfriend now," Grandma continued her attack. "I hope you're not fornicating outside of marriage."

Oh, God. Kyle seemed to feel the same, because he rolled his eyes.

"Do you really want to know that?"

"Off his back, Grandma," Jimmy mumbled, writing something on the clipboard in his lap.

"Not you, too, James. Honestly, you children get more disrespectful with age."

"Please spring Ron on her faster," Tom muttered from next to Sam.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Jerry whispered from Sam's other side. "I really don't want to be responsible for my own grandmother's untimely death."

"Hey, we all know CPR. And we actually have a defibrillator in the house," Sam said. "It will be alright."

"What on Earth are you writing there which is more important than family time?" Grandma continued, unaware they were planning an emergency medical procedure on her.

"I'm trying to figure out rotational pull in zero gravity," Jimmy answered, scribbling something down. "Any suggestions?"

Grandma faltered, obviously not sure how to criticize that. Surprisingly, she smiled. "Such a smart boy. I'm sure you'll figure it out."

"Kindness?" Tom asked, putting his hand on his chest. "Grandmother, I am shocked."

She squinted at him. "Always such a smarty pants." Her probing gaze then took all of them in. "You all look terribly upset though."

"Caught us at a rough time, that's all," Jerry said. "But we're sure your visit will cheer us up."

"I'm hoping it would," she said with renewed confidence, then picked up the remote control. "And nothing is better than family time."

Which meant soaps again. Sam bit back a giant groan, but all sense of boredom disappeared once the TV turned on. Someone had left it on a news channel and Von Crooken's face took up the screen.

"Wait, leave it here." He snatched the remote before his grandmother could make another move.

"Samuel Sirius--" she started, but froze once she focused on the news. "Oh, this is interesting."

"As a former student, it's the least I can do."  The sleaze bag was saying, a smile on his face. He still looked as if he'd come out of a bar fight and Sam was once again beyond impressed by Kyle's ability to punch people.