30.2|| Asking for Trouble

Sam had become blind to many things in his quest for selfish healing, but this thing with Kyle threw him off a little. The looks on Jerry and Jimmy's faces ever since they'd started the video conference should have been a clear warning that something was wrong, but he'd thought it was from their side.

Nope, it was just him and Tom failing to notice that their older brother was slowly sinking into darkness to the point he had to break stuff to relieve the pressure. Good thing he'd taken Jimmy up on his offer and had promised to crash at his place should things become too hard for him.

The realization came with an unpleasant pang in Sam's stomach, but for some reason he didn't feel as panicked about it as he normally would have. His main focus was still the jewels, finding Herrrison, asking to go to Egypt. He needed to find out what was really going on.

The only matter a tiny bit more pressing was what Tom had said about Skye. Tom didn't know about Sam's need to love, about the fake feelings building up inside him... Or maybe they weren't fake. Maybe the feelings were real and the outlet was fake.

But who cared? Why did he have to put a label on it as long as it helped him function and no one was getting hurt? As long as Skye didn't believe his feelings were real and accepted his behavior for what it was, why would he even make an issue out of it?

Maybe I deserve to just live the moment and be happy, too.

Everyone else seemed to be doing it, and in that moment, he had to admit he was content. Especially because he was about to see Skye very soon and fill her in on his intention to stir trouble within the Agency.

Sam turned the corner of the corridor that led to Skye's office and froze. She was outside, listening to Harry with a mild frown on her face. Harry was with his back to Sam, one forearm leaning against the wall, in a pose Sam had seen a million times and which clearly indicated flirting.

A bitter ball of jealousy rolled from Sam's stomach to his mouth and, for a moment, his vision turned crimson with the need to rush over and punch his former best friend in the face. Again. It was the way Skye listened and nodded the tiniest bit as if she understood that made him realize she wasn't falling for Harry's crap. Sam had seen that look so many times, and it was an indicator of the serious patronizing that would follow.

So, instead of rampaging, Sam just casually walked to them, keeping his steps as quiet as possible, focusing on their words.

"So yes," Harry was saying, "I think it would be great to get to know your coworkers more. I'd love to know you."

"I'm sorry," Skye said with a shake of her head, "I don't date my patients or potential patients."

Harry faltered for a second. "I'm not your patient."

"Oh, but you are." Her expression settled into a pleasant smile. "Beacuse, you see, Harry dear, I do know you. And I've been analyzing you since you started talking. I find your defense mechanisms fascinating. Do you always create a different persona when you meet new people? Is it always a chance for a new you?"

Harry pulled back and half turned so Sam could actually see how uncomfortable this conversation was making him. "Don't we all do that?"

"Tell me, Harry," Skye went on. "Does it help you with your guilt? Do you project yourself away from what you've done and unconsciously decide that it wasn't you? That your choices don't have consequences because they were made by the old you?"

"What are you talking about?" By the tremor in his voice, he knew exactly what she was talking about and it was a valid theory. Sam was beyond impressed with Skye's talent when it came to taking the worst out of every situation.