22.2|| Another Chance

Sam regretted deciding to meet Skye at their destination the moment she showed up.

It had all gone smoothly since he'd left her office. Having something to focus on, his mind swirled and he even felt like eating an entire pizza, which he now sort of regretted. The assignment didn't prove difficult which explained why Herrison chanced sending an emotionally unstable agent and a psychiatrist to do it.

Eye Patch had been seen lurking around a particular section of the industrial and unsavory part of Southside. Incidentally, a few of the warehouses there belonged to Von Crooken so there was a big chance they were bringing something in. The Agency needed to know what because it might help them anticipate what to expect from the next attack.

So Sam had done his homework, put on light equipment and weaponry and made his way, completely inconspicuous and undetected, to the warehouse closest to the water. The river wound its way downstream and Eye Patch watched it, standing on the ledge of a small pier, waiting.

Sam took advantage to check that all his guns were properly placed and loaded. He didn't pack much for this mission; just two pistols, one of which was filled with rubber bullets, and an uzi, for emergencies. Except for that, he had two combat knives, his bullet proof vest, the magnet, a headset and a handy microphone Steve Turner had devised which looked like a pebble. It was enough to make sure that, if all went smoothly, he wouldn't need the guns.

The sound of footsteps had him wincing and he turned towards the corner of the nearest industrial tank. Skye made her way towards him and sunk his spirits faster than a U-boat sunk a merchant ship.

"Just what the hell are you wearing?" he said between his teeth, the moment she came close enough to hear him without shouting being involved.

"You said to wear something dark," she hissed back.

"Yes, but that?" She wore a tight black dress with short sleeves and freaking pumps. "Don't you have pants? And boots or sneakers?"

"Surprisingly enough, I didn't have any clean black stuff," she whispered, crossing her arms over her chest. "And the shoes are very comfortable."

"Climbing walls comfortable?" God, he couldn't deal with this right now. He had half a mind to toss her out there and have her prying information out of Eye Patch using the power of seduction.

Skye huffed. "Climbing walls? Seriously?"

Yes, seriously, because the best vintage point was the roof of the warehouse. But he was in no mood to fight her or make any type of noise, so he just shrugged and returned to watching his target. She stepped next to him, obviously trying to keep quiet, but her shoes were loud.

"What's he doing?" she whispered.

Her perfume smelled like lemongrass and honeysuckle which was a weird combination. He couldn't believe she was wearing perfume. She looked prim enough to be on a date. Maybe she thought they were because he believed her messed up enough to think this was some special snowflake method to pick up girls.

But he shook his head, decided to ignore this and focus on the assignment. If there was one thing Christine had taught him, it was to suppress all potential negative thoughts.

"Nothing yet," he whispered back.

Another figure moved from between two metal structures, but this one wasn't skulking or wearing pumps. A man dressed in black jeans, a shirt and overshined shoes approached the bank of the river, hands in his pockets. Sam frowned, because he recognized that entitled gait, even if he couldn't place the person.

"Finally," Eye Patch said, moving towards the door of the warehouse, but Sam barely caught the words. They were still too far to hear mumbled conversation.