Chapter 4: Herbology and Transfiguration

Your P.O.V.

You, Newt and other first years were gathered in the greenhouse. Today, is your first Herbology lesson. When everything you needed for the lesson was finally prepared in front of you, your Herbology Professor walked in.

"Good morning, Class. I'm Professor Sprout, your Herbology teacher. So what is Herbology? Nobody knows? Herbology is the study of magical and mundane plants and fungi, making it in the Wizarding World equivalent to botany. You will to take care and utilize plants, learn about their magical properties and what they are used for. Many plants provide ingredients for Potions and medicine, while others have magical effects of their own right. Today we will be talking about the Devil Snare."

You got ready to take some notes.

"Devil's Snare is a plant with the magical ability to constrict or strangle anything in its surrounding environment or something that happens to touch it. Struggling or resistance to Devil's Snare will cause the plant to exert a greater force of constriction.

Devil's Snare does not seem to be common, but certain herbologists have access to it. It is composed of a mass of soft, springly tendrils and vines that possess some sense of touch, and resembles the Flitterbloom. This plant uses its creepers and tendrils to ensnare anyone who touches it, binding their arms and legs and eventually choking them. The harder a person struggles against Devil's Snare, the faster and more tightly it binds them if the victim is able to maintain their presence of mind and relaxes, the Snare will relax its grip on them.

Devil's Snare prefers a dark, damp environment. It will stop its movement in the environment in front of bright light and will recoil away from the heat of fire, said a well-placed flame spell such as Bluebell Flames will drive it away from its victims.

Devil's Snare has been used by wizards for centuries. Many use them to protect valuables. However, some darker wizards were known to use Devil's Snare for assassination.

As you must have noted, a simple Fire Spell will protect you from these plants, so although this is Herbology, we will be learning the incantation of the Fire-Making Spell today.

The Fire-Making Spell, also known as the Fire-Making Charm (Incendio, pronounced In-SEND-Dee-O) is a charm and a form of Conjuration that can be used to conjure a jet of orange and red flame, thereby setting things alight.

In Latin, Incendio is the dative or ablative singular of Incendium, "fire", and can mean "to fire" or "for fire" (dative), "by fire" or "with fire" (ablative of instruments or means). Thus, the incantation is a way of calling upon fire turned burn a desired object, since the spell caster wills harm to be done to an object "by (means of) fire".

The magic word could also be a variant of the Latin incendo, "I set (something) on fire", with an "I" added before the final "O" for euphony.

"Incendio" Is the Spanish and Portuguese word for "wild fire". Also, in Italian the word "Incendio" refers to a great fire similar to that one made by Thorfinn to Hagrid's house.

"Incendio" (pronounced In-cen-DI-u) is also the first person singular of the present of the Spanish verb "Incendiar", meaning "to set fire to".

Regardless where the pronunciation came from, the movement resembles a flame itself. Start from the left and move towards the right."

You grabbed your wand from your pocket.

"Remember to keep your mind clear and focus. Imagine the air heating up around the tip of your wand and igniting while you chant the spell. Go ahead and give it a practice. There are clay pots by everyones feet that hold a small amount of parchment in them. Only point your wand towards the parchment in the pots and give the spell a try."