Chapter 22: The Erumpent

Your P.O.V.

You, Newt and Mr. Kowalski hurried through the frost-covered park, shaking of the jewellery that got stuck to your coats in the process.

As you crossed the bridge, you almost got bowled over by an ostrich, which teared past you, running for its life.

A loud rumble was heard in the distance. You immediately recognised it. It was an Erumpent.

Suddenly, Newt tugged protective headgear out of his pocket, and handed it to Mr. Kowalski.

"Put this on." Newt said.

"Why... Why would I have to wear something like this?" Mr. Kowalski asked all confused.

"Because your skull is susceptible to breakage under immense force." You explained while looking at the entrance of the Central Park Zoo.

Without you knowing it, Newt used your distraction to once again admire you. Then Newt ran on and you followed him. Utterly terrified by your explanation, Mr. Kowalski put on the hat and chased after the two of you.

You, Newt and Mr. Kowalski ran up to the now half-empty zoo. You took time out to look at the damage. The outer walls of the zoo have been demolished in places. A large pile of rubble lied at the entrance.

Suddenly, another bellowing roar echoed around the brick building. Newt produced a body protector from inside of his extended coat pocket.

"Okay, if you just, uh, pop this on." He said.

Then Newt stood behind Mr. Kowalski, fastening the breastplate over him.

"Okay." Mr. Kowalski said once again in confusion.

"Now there's absolutely nothing for you to worry about." Newt assured him.

"Tell me, has anyone ever believed you when you told them not to worry." Mr. Kowalski asked Newt while you just stood there listening to their conversation.

You did believe Newt when he told you not to worry.

"Well, my philosophy is that worrying means you suffer twice." Newt said.

That's one wise philosophy.

Mr. Kowalski, however, digests Newt's 'wisdom'.

While they talked, you slowly started making your way to the entrance of the zoo. When Newt noticed it, he picked up his case and Mr. Kowalski followed him, stumbling over rubble and debris.

The three of you stood at the entrance to the zoo. A loud snort came from within. When you looked further inside, you finally noticed a big creature in the corner.

"She's in season. She needs to mate." Newt said.

Well, that wasn't very good.

The Erumpent, a large, rotund, rihno-like creature with a massive horn protruding from her forehead. Five times his size, she was nuzzling up against the enclosure of a terrified hippo.

Newt took out a tiny vial of liquid from his pocket. He pulled the stopper out with his teeth and spat it to the side before dabbing a spot of the liquid onto each wrist. By the smell, you immediately understood what that liquid was. Mr. Kowalski looked at Newt, the smell is pretty pungent.

"Erumpent musk, she is mad for it." Newt explained.

Then, Newt passed Mr. Kowalski the open vial and headed into the zoo.

When he walked around a huge cage with parrots, Newt placed his case down on the ground near the Erumpent and slowly, almost seductively, opened it.