Chapter 21: The Niffler

Your P.O.V.

The three of you Apparated into a narrow alleyway away from Tina's and Queenie's house. There was chill in the air. Mr. Kowalski started guiding Newt to the Central Park. You followed them.

There weren't many people in the streets at such hour, so it would be easy to spot a creature. You were so deep in your thoughts while tracking beasts that you weren't ready for Newt to talk with you.

"You are engaged?" He asked but it sounded more like a statement.

"Sorry?" You asked confused while looking at Newt.

He looked curious and sad at the same time. But then it hit you.

"Ah, this, it's my mother's. She gave me it when I moved away." You explained.

Suddenly Newt's face expression changed from sad to a happy one. But soon enough he looked sad again.

"But... why did you move away?"

You stayed silent. How were you supposed to answer it? I moved away because I couldn't see you and Leta together.

"Because of the job. And, you know, I was born here after all." You lied while looking down.

After your response Newt just sighed and said nothing. A few minutes later you, Newt and Mr. Kowalski were walking along another deserted street on the way to Central Park. The shops around you were full of expensive jewellery, diamonds, precious stones. You and Newt scanned the shadows for small movements.

"I was watching you at dinner." Newt said while starting a conversation with Mr. Kowalski.

"Yeah."

"People like you, don't they, Mr. Kowalski."

"Oh... well, I'm... I'm sure people like you, too... huh?" Mr. Kowalski said, startled.

"No, not really. I annoy people." Newt said not very concerned.

"Ah." Mr. Kowalski said not sure how to answer.

Newt seemed thoroughly intrigued by the muggle.

"Why did you decide to be a baker?" He then asked.

"Ah, well, Um... Because I'm dying... In that canning factory. Everyone there's dying. It just crashes the life outta you. You like canned food?"

"No."

"Me neither. That's why I want to make pastries, you know. It makes people happy. We're going this way."

Mr. Kowalski headed off to his right. You and Newt followed him.

"So did you get your loan?" Newt asked as you silently walked beside him.

"Er, no... I ain't got no collateral. Stayed in the army too long, apparently... I don't know." Mr. Kowalski said sadly.

He seems like a good man. And he fought in the war. It was not his fault that he stayed in the army.

"What, you fought in the war?"

"Of course I fought in the war, everyone fought in the war... You didn't fight in the war?"

"I worked mostly with dragons, Ukrainian Ironbellies, Eastern Front." Newt said.

So he was the one who worked on the Eastern Front.

"You fought in the war too, didn't you, Y/n?" Newt asked you.

"I worked with dragons, Common Welsh Green, Western Front." You said not looking at him.

Mr. Kowalski looked a bit shocked when he heard what you said. You guessed that you just didn't look like a type of a fighting person.