Chapter 30: Grindelwald

Your P.O.V.

You let yourself get lost in your thoughts for a moment. Grief and sorrow filled you completely. Tears welled in your eyes as you let them fall freely down your face. The sharp pain in your shoulder was long forgotten as you felt the agonising pain inside. Your heart was aching and you didn't move an inch.

You failed. You failed to do the thing you tried so hard for. You failed at saving a child who so desperately needed help. You failed.

Those words couldn't leave your head as you silently mourned at the loss.

A sudden movement in the corner of your eye kicked you out of you thoughts as you saw Mr. Graves in his long black coat climbing up, back onto the platform, as close as possible to the remnants of the black mass, where just a few moments ago stood Credence, who could have been saved.

You slightly raised your head and stepped backwards, towards Newt, finding a bit of comfort in being close to him.

The Aurors advanced towards Graves.

"You fools. Do you realise what you've done?" Graves seethed at them.

The whole subway watched him with interest wondering, what is he going to do? For now, by his reaction, you couldn't really predict his actions.

Suddenly, Madam Picquery emerged from behind the Aurors that came from the train tunnel.

"The Obscurial was killed on my orders, Mr. Graves." Her tone was steely, questioning.

"Yes. And the history will surely note that, Madam President." Graves responded as he moved towards her along the platform, his tone accusing and threatening. "What was done here tonight was not right!"

"He was responsible for the death of a No-Maj. He risked the exposure of our community. He has broken one of our most sacred laws." Madam Picquery explained the reason of her actions.

Graves laughed, bitterly.

"A law that has us scuttling like rats in the gutter! A law that demands that we conceal our true nature! A law that directs those under its dominion to cover in fear lest we risk discovery! I ask you Madam President -"

His eyes flashed to all present as he continued his speech.

"- I ask all of you. Who does this law protect? Us?"

Graves gestured vaguely to the No-Majs above.

"Or them?"

He continued while smiling bitterly.

"I refuse to bow down any longer."

With that being said, Graves just turned around and started walking away from the Aurors.

"Aurors, I'd like you to relieve Mr. Graves of his wand and escort him back to-" Madam Picquery said to the Aurors flanking her.

As Graves moved down the platform, a wall of white light suddenly appeared in front of him, blocking his path from going any further.

From your position you could see only the right side of his face. Graves seemed to think for a moment, a sneer of derision and irritation crossing his face, seeming more and more suspicious by every second.

Suddenly he turned and confidently strided back along the platform, firing spells at both groups of Aurors facing him. Spells flew at him from all angles, but Graves parried them all. Several Aurors were sent flying backwards. Seemed that Graves was winning.

In a split-second Newt pulled out the cocoon from his pocket and released it at Graves. The Swooping Evil soared around him, shielding all of you from Graves's spells, and giving Newt enough time to raise his wand.