Chapter 27: The Demiguise and The Occamy

Your P.O.V.

Once again you, Newt, Tina, Queenie and Jacob Apparated into a narrow alleyway that led to a deserted street of New York City.

Given the first chance you've got, you immediately changed from your evening dress into your comfortable work clothes followed by Tina and Queenie.

Newt was secretly staring at you, wanting to print the image of you in a dress into his brain forever.

Once you changed and your coat was finally on you, embracing you into its warmth, you noticed Pickett, who was climbing into the breast pocket of your coat. You quickly but carefully grabbed Pickett and turned to Newt, handing the Bowtruckle to him. Newt outstretched his arm towards you, stopping when his hand was right next to yours. You placed Pickett on the back of Newt's hand, but the little creature refused to let go of you. The expression on Newt's face turned into amused and slightly annoyed one from Pickett's sulking.

"Pickett, come on." You said, slightly pleading.

The Bowtruckle only tightened his grip on your fingers.

"Pickett." You said, now more sternly.

Pickett gave you an annoyed 'Alright, you win' look and finally let go of you settling on Newt's hand.

"Come on, we need to go." Tina said, also slightly annoyed and walked onto the street.

Newt quickly placed Pickett inside his breast pocket and you both followed Tina, Queenie and Jacob.

They were headed right across the street towards a huge building of a department store. Its windows were full of glamorously dressed mannequins.

Jacob was the first one to approach the shop windows and was staring at a handbag which, seemingly of its own accord, was sliding down the arm of a mannequin. You, Newt, Tina and Queenie hurryed up behind him and watched as the bag hovered in mid-air and floated off into the store.

Quickly, you all Disaparated from the street and Apparated into the closed shop.

A well-presented department store was decorated for Christmas, with aisles full of expensive jewellery, shoes, hats and perfume. The place was shut down for the night, all the lights were off, no noises could be heard, but thanks to the big windows, you could see pretty well with the light coming from the streetlights outside.

You watched the handbag float down the central aisle, accompanied by small grunting noises.

You, Newt, Tina, Queenie and Jacob quickly tiptoed through the store, coming to hide behind a large plastic Christmas display. You eyed up the floating bag.

"So Demiguises are fundamentally peaceful, but they can give a nasty nip if provoked." Newt whispered.

The Demiguise itself finally appeared, a silvery-haired, orangutan-like creature, with a curious, wizened face, was clambering over a display to reach a box of sweets.

"You two... head that way." Newt whispered to Jacob and Queenie.

They started moving as Newt told them to.

"And try very hard not to be predictable." You warned.

Jacob and Queenie exchanged perplexed glances before heading off into the store, leaving you, Newt and Tina behind the display.

Suddenly, you heard a small roar in the distance.

The Demiguise, heard the sound too, and looked up towards the ceiling, before continuing to gather sweets, now shoveling them into its handbag.