Chapter 17: Mr. Kowalski

Your P.O.V.

Mr. Abernathy left shortly after Mr. Graves, leaving you and Newt staring at eachother, horrified. You were surprised that you could hold eye contact for so long.

"Mr. Scamander, we have to find your case." Tina said.

Newt immediately turned around and stared looking for the way out of the basement room.

"I'll go with you." You said and followed Newt.

But unlike him, you knew exactly where to go. When he heard you say that you'll help, he turned around for a brief moment and smiled fondly. You were so worried right now, who knows what will happen to the poor creatures if they get out.

You, Newt and Tina made your way into the elevator and headed to the main lobby. When you reached it and walked out you took out your wand and with the flick of it your coat and case flew into your hands. You did not stop walking for a moment. While you were putting your coat your case floated beside you. When you were done you grabbed your case into your left hand and walked out of the building.

You didn't know about it but Newt was secretly staring at you the whole way.

After walking for a while you heard a Billywig flying high above the street but you did not see it.

The three of you were walking along the street. Tina carried the case with pastries.

"I can't believe you didn't Obliviate that man! If there's an inquiry I'm finished!" Tina said on the verge of tears.

"So why would you be finished? I'm the one that's..." Newt asked confused.

"I'm not supposed to go near the Second Salemers!"

"Have you been tracking them again?" You asked.

Tina just looked at you and said nothing.

Then you saw the Billywig zoom over your head. You and Newt spinned around, a bit horrified, watching it. Tina then noticed it too.

"What was that?" She asked a bit angrily.

"Er... moth, I think." You said trying to shrug it off.

"Big moth." Newt said following you.

When you rounded the corner, you found this explanation dubious. There was a huge crowd gathered in front of a crumbling building. Some people were shouting, others hurriedly evacuated the building. A policeman was standing in the middle of the crowd, being harassed by disgruntled tenement-dwellers.

You, Newt and Tina moved around the outskirts of the crowd. At the back, there was a tipsy hobo who was trying to get the policeman's attention.

"Hey... hey, quite down, I'm trying to get a statement..." The policeman said while trying to calm the crowd down.

"I'm telling you it's a gas explosion again, I ain't taking the kids back up there until it's safe." A housewife said.

"Sorry, ma'am, there ain't no smell of gas." The policeman explained.

"It wasn't gas, hey, officer, I seen it! It was a gigantic... a huge hippopota..." The drunk hobo started saying.

While Tina was looking at the ruined building, you and Newt walked past the hobo. Newt quickly slided his wand from his sleeve and pointed it at the drunk man, making him say a totally different thing.

"...gas. It was gas." He said instead.

The crowd agreed with him and stared shouting. Poor policeman stood there not knowing what to do.