Chapter 8: Friendship

Newt's P.O.V.

It was Saturday morning. I just had my breakfast and was heading out to take a walk and explore the grounds of Hogwarts. Y/n wasn't at the Great Hall when I arrived. Maybe I was a bit late. She was usually very early to avoid most sudents.

I walked out of the castle dressed in my usual clothes, not robes. The grounds were just mesmerising. I wonder why the the forest is called Forbidden Forest? What could be so dangerous in the forest near the Wizarding School? One day, Y/n and I are going find out all the creatures that live in there.

And there was a huge lake. It was very beautiful. I'm not quite sure how it is called but I'm going to find that out. I still don't know so many secrets about this place. It sure is wonderful to be a wizard. I feel a bit of pity for muggles. They can't know all of this. Of course, in England, wizards and muggles can be friends but my mother told me that there are some countries that don't allow any contact with muggles.

When I reached the lake I looked into the water. It was dark and so deep, hiding all the secrets, all the creatures. When I looked to the side I saw a tree. It was located on a tiny island. Suddenly I saw some short of movement on the tree. I wanted to get closer. To get on the island I needed to jump on some rocks. My boots got slightly wet but it doesn't matter. They will dry off soon. When there was solid ground beneath my feet I slowly started approaching the tree not to scare whatever it was on the tree. When I got closer, for a moment, I saw a tiny green head peaking out of the hole in the tree. As soon as it noticed me it hid away. A few moments later it peaked its head out again. It was a Bowtruckle. A little one. He had two leafs attached to his head. He looked at me with the same curiosity as I looked at him. He sure was the cutest Bowtruckle I have ever seen. He slowly crawled out of his home and on to the branch that was close to my face. I stretched out my hand thinking that if I'm lucky enough the little Bowtruckle will climb on my hand. The stick like creature observed it and after hesitating for a while he climbed on my hand. I barely felt weight on my hand. The creature squeaked and tilted its head to the side staring at me with its beady eyes. I tilted my head as well to get my hair out of my eyes and to observe the little Bowtruckle.

Suddenly I heard a squeak, but it wasn't from the Bowtruckle on my hand. I gazed back to the tree and saw a bigger Bowtruckle. I assume it was my new friends parent. I moved my hand to the tree so the little creature could get off. Before it disappeared it moved its hand. It reminded me of a wave. I guess I just made a new friend. I can't wait to show him to Y/n. I'm sure she will be very happy.

I realised that I don't know what time it is but it can't be that late, can it? I think I still do have some time before lunch so I'm going to walk around a bit more and then I'll meet Y/n in the Great Hall. Yeah, that is a great plan. It is going to be a surprise for Y/n.

Months have passed since I met Y/n and I still can't believe that we are best friends.

I needed to get back to the sore from the island which meant getting my already dry boots wet again. When I jumped back to the ground I made my way around the castle and then headed to the Great Hall for lunch.

Your P.O.V.

You were walking to the Great Hall for lunch. It has been months since you arrived at Hogwarts and you still haven't read your book about animals. Maybe it was because you made a drawing about every animal you have read about. Or maybe it was because you have spent almost all of your free, well, not only free time with Newt.

It was so nice to have a friend, a best friend.

You haven't seen Newt at the breakfast this morning, so you assumed that he was just busy with some homework. That is why you decided to read. Lucky for you, you have finished all your homework yesterday, so you could have a nice weekend.

Since it was the weekend, students were wearing their casual clothes, not robes. You weren't a dress girl, so you were wearing trousers, your very, very comfortable Ravenclaw sweater and leather boots. The collar of your white button-up shirt was peaking out of the sweater.

When you walked into the Great Hall you immediately glanced at the Hufflepuff table. To your surprise, Newt wasn't there. Okay, that was a bit odd. If he isn't going to show up while you eat you are going to look for him. With a sigh you sat at your usual spot at the Ravenclaw table away from others and food magically apeared in front of you. While you ate you stared getting a bit concerned about Newt. Where is that boy?

When you finished your delicious meal and stood up you saw no other than Newt Scamander run toward you with full mouth. You couldn't help but giggle at this sight. As soon as he approached you he quickly swallowed his food.

"Newt, where have you been?" You asked.

Newt was wearing his Hufflepuff sweater as well. He had a were happy expression on his face.

"I need to show you something!" He said excitedly.

Before you could respond Newt already grabbed your hand and began leading you somewhere. A slight blush creeped on your cheeks but thank Merlin he didn't notice.

"Where are we going?"

"It is a surprise."

A surprise? From Newt Scamander?! That was more than enough for you to know. When you walked out of the castle Newt slowed down a little bit and let go of your hand. Hogwarts sure was very beautiful. Newt lead you to the lake. You wondered how many kinds of different creatures lived in there. Newt guided you toward the little island with a single tree on it.

"Come on." Newt said and stared to jump on some rocks.

You followed him. Your boots got slightly wet but it is not a problem. Newt waited for you and then lead you toward a tree. When you got close enough you saw a tiny green head pop out of the hole in the tree. Wait is that?

You stayed silent and didn't dare to move while the creature crawled out. You stood there absolutely amazed. Magical creatures are incredible.

Newt stretched out his arm and little Bowtruckle climbed on his hand. You couldn't take your eyes of of the stick-like creature. It was studying you with its beady eyes.

"He knows me, or he'd hide."

Newt explained while holding the Bowtruckle.

"Bowtruckles only nest in trees with wand-quality wood, did you know that? And they have very complex social lives. If you watch them for long enough you realise that they behave just like a family. They have parents and children. And they are very protective of their trees. If some..."

"If somebody tries to hurt the tree, they will attack and try to claw out persons eyes." You finished Newt's sentence.

He looked at you with amazement in his eyes. You shyly smiled.

"Do you want to?" Newt asked gesturing toward the little creature.

"Oh, yes!" You answered excitedly but not to much so not to scare the Bowtruckle.

Newt carefully moved his hands closer to yours. Your hands brushed slightly. The Bowtruckle climbed on your hand. It was as light as a feather.

"Does he have a name?" You asked.

"No. Maybe you want to name him?" Newt suggested.

After thinking for a while you came up with a perfect name.

"What about...Pickett?"

As soon as you said it the Bowtruckle let out a squeak.

"I think he likes it." Newt said smiling."It suits him."

You smiled at the little green creature in your hands.

"Pickett."

Well, isn't that great to have a magical creature friend.