Chapter 31: Goodbye, Jacob

Your P.O.V.

After nodding at Newt Madam Picquery turned to you.

"We'll talk with you later, Ms. Y/l/n." She said.

"Yes, Madam President." You said while slightly bowing your head.

You immediately wondered what she wanted to talk to you about. You knew that she wasn't going to take your creatures away because if she wanted, she would have done it now.

As you kind of lost yourself in your thoughts Madam Picquery began to walk away, her pack of Aurors moving after her. Suddenly, she turned back. Queenie must have read her mind, because she quickly stood protectively in front of Jacob, trying to hide him.

"Is that No-Maj still here?" Madam Picquery asked."Obliviate him. There can be no exceptions." She said on seeing Jacob.

Oh, no... You hoped that it wouldn't come to this.

You wanted to open your mouth to say something, but the tone of Madam Picquery's voice said that she wasn't going to change her mind. Because of that bloody law. At that moment you wished that you were in England. It's not fair. Jacob deserved to know, he deserved to remember what he had done, how he had helped us.

Madam Picquery read the anguish that spread across our faces upon hearing the news.

"I'm sorry - But even one witness... You know the law."

There was a pause. She was obviously uncomfortable from our distress.

"I'll let you say goodbye."

And with that, she left the five of us standing on newly repaired platform, almost mourning once again.

You slowly turned around to face the group of people you were sertain you could call friends. Queenie was standing mere inches away from Jacob, both of them looking at the shattered tiled floor of the subway, sadness obvious in their eyes. Tina approached Queenie, comforting her, her sisterly instincts kicking in. Newt stood only two feet away from you, obviously distressed, eyes glancing from the three standing by the wall to the floor beneath his feet.

You and Newt shared a quick look. A mixture of pity and anguish flickering in both of your eyes.

When you looked away you heard Jacob sigh loudly, frustrated.

"Let's go." He said quietly and started moving towards the stairs of the subway.

Queenie quickly followed him. You, Newt and Tina followed suit, heads hanging low.

Jacob lead you all up the steps of the subway entrance. Queenie following inches behind him.

Rain was still falling heavily, the streets now almost empty but for a few hard-working Aurors.

Jacob reached the top of the steps and paused, just standing there for a moment, gazing into the rain. You where the closest who stood next to Queenie. You could feel the sadness and despair radiating from her, and it broke your heart. You all stood there dreading what was about to happen, as unfair as it was.

In that moment you felt helpless, useless even. You have faced so many unpredictable and weird situations in your life, and yet you couldn't do anything. You were stuck, feet glued to the stairs, mind racing trying to think of a single solution, but deep, deep down you knew that you won't be able to help this time.

Queenie reached out and grabbed Jacob's coat, willing him not to move out into the streets. Reacting to the gesture he turned to her.

"Hey... Hey this is for the best. Yeah... I was... I was never even supposed to be here."

Jacob fought back tears, as so did all of you. Queenie gazed up at him, her usually cheerful and smiling face now full of distress.

You looked slightly behind you, glancing at Newt. His clothes dusty from rolling around on the tracks, his precious case in his hands, his hair a mess of soft, a bit dusty curls, his freckled face pale, his nose red, his eyes glistening with tears.

His appearance triggered a memory in your head. You have seen him in this state before. That day, at the platform, when he got expelled for taking the blame for Leta. Back then you thought that it was going to be the last time you would see him. And yet here you were, again about to say goodbye to your friend.

"I was never supposed to know about any of this. Everybody knows Newt and Y/n only kept me around because...hey... Newt, Y/n, why did you keep me around?"

Neather of you expected the question to say the least. You both had to be explicit. It didn't come easy. The truth was that you didn't even know why you kept Jacob around. He just kind of apeared in your life and you immediately got used to it. The thought of Obliviating him and getting rid of him never even crossed your mind.

"Because we like you. Because you're our friend." Newt said.

"We will never forget how you helped us, Jacob." You added, voice slightly cracking.

There was a beat. Jacob seemed very overcome with emotions at your and Newt's answer.

"Oh!" Jacob let out, his voice cracking as well.

Queenie moved forward up the stairs towards him, they stand close to eachother.

"I'll come with you. We'll go somewhere, we'll go anywhere... see I ain't never gonna find anyone like you..." Queenie said trying to cheer him up, a smile on her face despite the tears welling in her eyes.

"There's loads like me." Jacob said bravely.

"No... No... There's only one like you." She said softly.

Your heart shattered at the site before you. The pain was almost unbearable because you, out of all people, knew exactly what she meant. When a man or a woman is the one you just know it. The way you know it with... him. But fate surely didn't agree with you.

"I gotta go."

A beat as Jacob turned to face the rain, and whipped his eyes.

"Jacob!" Queenie let out, starting after him.

"It's okay... It's okay... It's okay. It's just like waking up, right?" He asked.

"More like falling asleep." You almost whispered.

You meant that as in when you are asleep you have no idea what is going on around you. The same way muggles have no idea that there is magic all around them. And the magic was about to be ripped out of Jacob's life, with a few friends and a woman of his dreams.

You all smiled slightly at him as if encouraging, trying to somehow soothe the current situation.

Jacob looked at your faces as he moved backwards, walking into the rain, that will soon wash away his memories, leaving empty, unfilled spots in his mind. He turned his face to the sky, arms stretched out, allowing the water to wash over him completely.

Queenie, creating a magical umbrella with her wand, stepped out into the rain towards Jacob. She moved in closely, tenderly stroking his face before closing her eyes and bending in to gently kiss him.

A hot tear escaped out of your eye. You felt Queenie's pain like it was your own.

Behind you, you heard Newt sniff gently, sadness obvious in his eyes.

Finally, Queenie slowly pulled away, her gaze not leaving Jacob's face even for a second. She moved under the roof of the subway entrance, her umbrella disappearing, tears cascading down her face like raindrops.

Tina walked up a few steps taking out her wand. She took Queenie's hand into hers as Newt gently held onto your arm, taking out his own wand.

The next moment you were gone, leaving Jacob standing there in the pouring rain, arms out, longingly embracing no one.