Chapter 9: Care of Magical Creatures

1910

Your P.O.V.

Today is your first Care of Magical Creatures lesson. You were so excited. Finally! You have waited for it for two years.

You and Newt know eachother for two years now and you remained best friends all this time. He was still your only friend. But you didn't mind.

Few first lessons are going to be held in the castle but then you are actually going to go to the Forbidden Forest. Not like you haven't been there before. Your first trip there was at the beginning of your second year at Hogwarts. Now you were a third year. You have grown up, and Newt did too. He became taller.

Care of Magical Creatures was the first lesson of the day and you were so, so happy. Right now you were in the Great Hall eating your breakfast. You have never eaten so fast. Your satchel was all packed up and sitting next to you. You were ready for your first lesson.

You haven't finished chewing the last piece of food as you already stood up and stared making your way toward the Hufflepuff table. You saw Newt in the same state as you. With a mouth full of food he grabbed his bag and started walking toward the Ravenclaw table. He noticed you only after he nearly bumped into you.

You quickly swallowed your food. Newt did the same but eventually he stared couching. It made you giggle. He was just as excited as you were.

"Good morning, Newt." You said with a smile.

"Morning, Y/n." He said after he stopped couching.

"Come on, we've got to get going!"

You walked out of the Great Hall and stared making your way toward the classroom. Newt needed some time to catch up with you.

When you reached the classroom some students were already there. You and Newt took your seats next to each other and prepared your books, parchment, quills and ink. As soon as you were ready a professor walked in. He had a mechanic arm and leg. He sure got some expirience.

Also, you noticed Leta LeStrange sitting in the classroom. It was weird that she was here. Usually Slitherins had lessons with Griffindors. You have heard and seen that she has been bullied. Maybe that is why she is here now. You felt pity for the girl. You didn't hear that she had done something wrong.

"Good morning, Class. I'm professor Kettleburn, your Care of Magical Creatures teacher. As you have noticed few of our first lessons are going to be held in the castle. Today we will be talking about Regulation and Classification of Magical Creatures. Please open your books on page 19."

Ministry of Magic Regulation & Classification

The Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures of the Ministry of Magic is responsible for overseeing and regulating magical creatures. It is divided into three divisions: the Beast Division, the Being Division, and the Spirit Division. A 'being' is generally defined, according to your book, as 'any creature that has sufficient intelligence to understand the laws of the magical community and to bear part of the responsibility in shaping those laws'. This includes humans, goblins, hags, and vampires. According to this definition, fairies, pixies, gnomes, and most other creatures are classified as 'beasts'. Centaurs and merpeople are said to have rejected 'being' status in favor of 'beast' status, as have leprechauns. Werewolves and Animagi are notable because they are typically in human form - a werewolf transforms from human state only at the full moon, and an Animagus is a human who has learned to transform into an animal at will. Their classification is unclear, and offices responsible for werewolves exist in both the Beast and Being Divisions. A number of creatures, such as banshees, dwarfs, and Dementors, have never been described in the novels either as beings or as beasts, so their legal status is unclear. Affairs related to ghosts come under the auspices of the Spirit Division.