Chapter 19

"NO FUCKING WAY!" Corrine yelled as we walked down the street in the cool darkness. She was talking me to her favorite secret place with about four bottles of spray paint in hand.

     "Yup! The fall dance!" I beamed. As you could tell I was very proud of getting asked.

     "That's fucking amazing!" She said jumping, "wait, you need a dress! We get to go shopping!" She said even more excitedly which I didn't even know was possible.

   "That's what I was gonna say!" I turned quickly towards her almost tripping on my feet. She caught me and we laughed almost tearing up.

    "This is going to be so fun! We can get you a cute lil dress and do your hair!" Corrine was maybe more excited about this then I was. I laughed at her peppiness.

    "Yeah. All that good shit." I shook a bottle of spray paint in my hand.

    "We're almost there." She said running up to a big sewer tunnel that no longer was in use. We ducked and walked in our boots getting wet. Good thing she didn't let me wear my vans or converse or else my feet would be soaked too. "Gimme that." She reached her hand out for the bottle and I handed it to her. She shook it and painted a large smiley face with X's for eyes.

     "I like it," I said tilting my head, "edgy."

     "Thanks! Now you try painting something!" She motioned to the can I'm my other hand. I looked at the wall and thought for a second then went at it. After I believed my work was done I took a step back, then smiled at the new, freshly painted middle finger that resided on the wall. "Ha! Nice." Corrine laughed then motioned for me to come with her.

       We walked farther down the tunnel which eventually opened up to a spot where all the tunnels met making a rather spacey room. "We are we going?" I asked finally being able to stand up straight.

     "I wanna show you something!" She said and pointed to a smaller graffitied work. "Brendon did that about a month ago I think. I thought you might like it."

    "Huh" I said studying the quote. 'Oh he was just hanging around, then he fell in love' that's from 'When the day met the night'. Do you think this is when we was writing the song?" I asked her. I didn't know why she would want to show me personally. It was cool and all but I knew Brendon would come some here since the first week of meeting the group.

    "He said it was about you." She said looking me dead in the eye. I blushed and looked back at the words.

    "Really? So the song? Is that about me too?" I asked now touching the wall.

   "You bet! He didn't want anyone to tell you. He thought you'd be freaked out but I thought you would like it." She smiled. We stood there in silence for a while admiring the things others had put here before us. Some thing more poetic like Brendon's quotes and other things more graphic like Corrine's countless drawings of dicks. "Hey Indie?" Corrine said breaking the silence.

     "Yeah?"

      "Brendon likes you a lot, like more than you know." She said looking up at the spray painted 'fuck you!' On the wall. I didn't say anything back. I didn't need to. It was like she could tell my exact response without even having to see it. "Don't blush too hard. That much blood rushing to your cheeks will kill you!" She said walking out of the tunnel. "Wanna sleep over at my place?"

      "Of course!" I sad walking behind her. We made our way out of the tunnel while I was quietly singing a quiet little song.

    In the middle of summer, all was golden in the sky, all was golden when the day met the night.