Chapter 5

O P H E L I A ' S P O V

I can't believe that Kace is actually here. It was almost surreal how I was thinking about him just a few days ago.

Sticking my tongue out the corner of my mouth, I carried the two cups of coffee to Table 9 where Kace and Mr. Morterez were seated.

"There you go, K." I sent him a small smile but it then disappeared when I realized that I called him the nickname that I used to when we were in high school.

"I meant Kace," I mumbled embarrassedly as I set the mug in front of him.

My eyes met his and he smiled at me adoringly, the smile that I always loved, "It's okay, Angel." He said softly.

I blushed at the nickname and smiled without maintaining eye contact.

Placing the other coffee in front of Mr. Morterez, I avoided eye contact once again, suddenly feeling nervous.

He was just really intimidating to me and I didn't think that will ever change. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't thinking about him for the past few days since the time I last saw him.

He was constantly on my mind and I had no idea why.

"Y-Your order, sir." I stuttered foolishly and afterward, I mentally scolded myself.

Stop stuttering Ophelia.

Making eye contact for a quick second, I saw a frown on his face as he looked at me but I quickly looked away.

See what you did? He probably thinks I'm a weirdo now.

"Oh! How rude of me. Levi, this is a friend of mine from high school– Ophelia." Kace introduced.

"We've met before." Mr. Morterez spoke.

Kace looked confused as he looked between us in which Mr. Morterez explained that I was his waitress the last time he came.

"Oh, that's great." Kace sipped his coffee. "Hey, Ophelia, why don't you sit and we can catch up on old times." He suggested.

I looked nervously in the direction of Rachel's office, "I don't know..." I squirmed under Mr. Morterez's gaze.

"If it's about your boss, I'm sure she'll understand." This time it wasn't Kace that spoke. His voice sounded gentle, soft and different from how it sounded when he was talking to anyone else.

Great, now he thinks I'm dumb.

Deciding that I would already be in trouble, I slid into the booth hesitantly, between Mr. Morterez and Kace.

I scooted closer to Kace, knowing that Mr. Morterez wouldn't want me invading his personal space.

I tried to ignore the burning glare that I felt in the centre of my head from the girls across the room.

"Angel, what have you been up to?" Kace's soft voice spoke as I looked at him.

"I-I tried calling you but you never answered." I cleared my throat at the end of the sentence as I hope that I didn't let any vulnerability seep into my tone. I can feel Mr. Morterez's gaze fixated on me.

I know that it was quite annoying that I followed Kace around in high school. I had no other friends and he was in the popular group.

He had even told me once that I needed to make my own friends.

I knew he didn't mean it in a bad way but it still hurt me.

"Don't you want to talk to me anymore?" I questioned softly.