Chapter 13

L E V I ' S  P O V

I entered the diner and immediately felt the prying stares of people as I walked towards the first employee which just so happened to be a young woman.

She was average looking with her crooked nose and thin lips. She looked around Ophelia's age and was quite short in height. Her hair was dark brown in colour and complimented the little curves she had as it flowed down her back.

She smiled widely as she spotted me, quickly getting off of her phone as she smacked her lips together.

I stood right in front of her as I ensured to keep my distance, "Would you mind telling me where the manager's office is?" I inquired.

"Sure, it's right over there." She pointed to a brown door to my right.

I gave her a small nod at her tolerable professionalism, and afterward, walked off to the door.

I fixed my suit before knocking on the door and impatiently waiting. I was never one to knock and wait for anyone but since this obviously wasn't my establishment and I could tolerate a few seconds of waiting just for Ophelia, I stood there and did just that.

I heard a bored answer from behind the door and took that as a note to come in.

Twisting the knob and giving the door a push, I'm greeted with the red-headed lady that I had seen only once before.

"Mr. Morterez, s-such a pleasant surprise." She blubbered. "Is there anything you'd like? A meal maybe, or even a" I raised one hand up to stop her from her pointless speaking.

"This visit isn't casual." I tucked my hands in my pocket as I took a seat in front of her desk. "I'm here to talk about one of your employees." I said.

She rounded the desk, "Is there something wrong?" She asked. "Who it is? I swear, I'll fire th—" I raised my hand again because she really talked too much.

"That won't be needed. It's about Ophelia." I said.

"She's just always a problem, I'll take care of her, sir. I assure you." She stated matter-of-factly.

I rolled my eyes at her ignorance, "With little due respect, if you would just let me continue without interrupting me, this process would be much quicker." I unclipped my cufflinks.

"Y-Yes sir, I apologise." She apologised with a solemn expression on her face.

"Now, I would hope that you are aware of the legal rights of employees in both the public and private sector." She simply nodded her head slowly, giving me the chance to continue. "And that all employees should be treated fairly and equally." She nodded her head again.

"Now that I'm aware that you know all of this, could I please see Ophelia's file? With your permission of course." I added on.

The panic was clear on her face as she spoke, "I'm s-sorry sir, but I-I don't have it here." She said, "But I can fill you in on the fact that Ophelia is perfectly fine with her working conditions. She just loves to help out." She smiled nervously at me.

"That doesn't make it any less wrong. I can't order you to stop making her work overtime since she's paid for it" I stopped once I saw the expression on her face.

This made me sit up in the chair, She is paid for it, right?" I seethed.

"Um, as I-I said before, she likes to help out as much a-as she can, even if it's past midnig" She snapped her mouth shut, realising her mistake as I sprung from the chair.