Chapter 42

O P H E L I A ' S  P O V

I swung open the door to see Levi on the other side which confused me; after all, it was his house, so why did he knock?

Hands full with a bouquet of flowers, a small teddy and a box of chocolate, he spoke, "I'm an idiot. An idiot that's sorry," He said nervously as he rocked back and forth on the heel of his foot. "Can I come in?" He asked but then shook his head. "Oh wait—" He paused and looked down thoughtfully as if now realising that he was asking if he could enter his own house.

I bit my lip to stifle the giggle that wanted to be released while acknowledging his state. Stepping aside, I allowed him to enter, my fingers working on each other as I wrung them nervously.

"I'm—" He started while he stepped inside but I cut him off.

"No," I shook my head, letting out a harsh breath. "I-I'm sorry. This— This isn't your fault. I guess the first thought that came to my head was that in order for you two to be engaged, that meant that you had to have proposed to her," My breath became a bit shaky. "The thought just left my stomach in knots," I admitted.

I didn't see the point in going through that entire process that Levi and I went through again. Surely it brought us closer together, but it was one of the hardest weeks of my life.

Levi stared at me for a while, processing my confession before gently placing all of the items he bought for me on the coffee table.

"Believe when I tell you that that spot is only reserved for you," He swallowed. "I didn't propose to her— it just all sort of happened, I guess, and I wish that I could take it back but I can't," He admitted, inching closer to me.

I looked up at him through my eyelashes, my breathing evening out. "You forgive me?" I mumbled. "For not listening to you. This can't work unless I do. I'll work on it, I promise." I wrapped my arms around his firm waist.

He sighed contentedly, resting his chin on top of my forehead as he returned the gesture with his arms, slightly swaying us to an imaginary beat.

"Ophelia?" He whispered after a while. My eyes fluttered close at the soothing vibration of his chest and the deep, velvety sound of his voice.

"Hm?" I hummed as I tightened my grip around his waist. His arms felt heavenly.

"I—" Levi got cut off by the sound of frantic knocking on the door.

The noise made Levi and I pull apart, startled by who would be knocking at this early hour in the morning. Still with a hand tightly around my waist, he led us to the door, both of our eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

I was not prepared for what or who I saw at the door.

Looking down at the ground with a torn nightdress adorned on her fragile body, she stood with her hair a dishevelled mess, hands resting on the doorframe to balance her exhausted body.

The sight of Levi's mother standing on the other side of the door made a gasp leave my lips, especially when she looked up with bloodshot red eyes and a large handprint on her left cheek.

--------------

I tried to get Angela, Levi's mother, to drink the tea that I made for her knowing that it would warm her up and make her feel better from being in the cold all night.

However, it was truly a difficult task with her uncontrollable sobbing and breathing.

"Just take a few sips, Mrs. Morterez. It'll make you feel better," I tried as I draped the blanket together around her shoulders.