Chapter 20

O P H E L I A ' S   P O V

I was embarrassed.

For the past few days, I had been working non-stop, working double shifts at the diner and cleaning anything I could possibly find around the house just so I could avoid Levi.

I was hoping that he didn't inform Kace about how his absence affected me, how I used to wait every night with bruises on my body for a phone call from Kace to come.

I wanted to be done with being everyone's burden. In fact, I had been putting together my money and wanted to get an apartment of my own with the most of $900 a month rent just so that I could be out of Levi's hair.

With the money that I was making now, it would only be a matter of time before I found one with a price that was affordable for my budget.

I was so close to my goal and that was because of Levi and I would never forget to thank him.

Food wasn't a priority on my list at the moment.

I had no idea that that was Levi's room and if I did, I never would have stepped feet within the area.

Probably because it looked like a guest room. Although it was huge, it was bland of any photos and only a grey, black and white colour on the walls.

I was currently on my hands and knees as I tried to brutally get rid of this stain that was on the tiled floor.

It was annoying to see and even more annoying to get rid of.

I could feel the sweat on my forehead and I wondered if it was dripping down to my eye which made my vision so blurry.

The harder I scrubbed, the tiresome I became until the ding from the oven made me jump in fright from the sudden noise as I collapsed and sat on the floor, using my hand to wipe the sweat from my forehead as I shook my head vigorously, hoping to rid myself of the horrible migraine that I was sporting.

Wobbling on my feet as I got up, I turned off the oven and then, turned off the coffee maker and afterward, poured the liquid in a mug.

It was chicken that was baking in the oven and although I knew it was way too early for dinner, I had to work later so I decided to start early so that he could just warm it up when he got home.

Placing the mug on the tray which contained waffles and bacon, I carried it into the sitting room where Levi had been all day with a pissed off look on his face as he talked on the phone, assumingly about business.

Walking in with my head down, I placed the tray on the table just as I heard him mutter curse words beneath his breath and ended the call, throwing the phone on the table in front of him.

"Breakfast, s-sir." I mumbled as I tried to scurry off before he could say anything.

"Wait, Ophelia?" I halted in my steps as I turned around to face him suddenly, the action causing my head to spin.

"Yes, sir?" I rushed out. I just really needed to have some water right now.

"Did you have something to eat?" I barely heard what he said because of the pounding in my ears.

Instead, with a wave of my hand, I answered, "I-I'll get something--- something later." My voice came out warily, being able to speak suddenly became a very tiresome action.

"I'd prefer if you w—Are you okay?" He asked inching towards the end of the couch, his hands in a stance to get up.

"Y-Yeah, y-yeah." I held my head. The room was suddenly spinning and I could hardly feel my feet at the moment.