Chapter 4

Taehyung POV

He was wading in the water, legs draped over either side of his surfboard. Shaking slightly at the fear of having to ride a wave for the first time.

"Don't be a baby Taehyung," said Jimin, who had paddled up beside him, "your fear of the ocean is irrational and you know it"

Taehyung sighed and dropped his head in frustration at his friend, they all knew how serious his fear was. It was a miracle he was even in the water in the first place.

"Yeah exactly, " his other friend chimed in, "besides, these waves are small and you've been through the training."

Taehyung shifted his gaze over to his friend who was looking back at him from a few feet ahead.

"That's easy for you to say Namjoon, you've done this before." He said to his friend, scowling at him.

"Go back if you're so scared, you're bumming us out anyways" said Yoongi, joining up beside Jimin and splashing him with water as he went.

Taehyung took that as an out and shakily paddled the surfboard around to face the beach.

"Fine then, see you guys later." he said in a huff.

Ignoring the protests coming from behind him he paddled lightly forward, careful not to lose his balance.

Staring off the side of the board and into the sea he almost missed the shadow of a fish underneath him.

Panic taking over, he brought all his limbs onto his board and shut his eyes, whining quietly in fear of the unknown below him.

He didn't notice the wave approaching from behind him as he was bracing himself, the wave lifting the back of his board and flipping him into the ocean.

The board came down on his head before he had time to react.

The shock of the blow rendering him motionless as he felt himself drift down to the abyss.

He kept his eyes closed, the pressure starting to get to his head.

He sent a silent prayer as he came to the realization that this could be the end of him.

He let his body go limp, suddenly feeling extremely tired, fear having long gone and left him wanting nothing more than to sleep.

It was only then he felt slim arms wrap around his body and long hair brush against his face that he figured he had already died and then everything went black.

Sometime later he started to regain consciousness, feeling sand against his back and dryness in his throat.

Coughing slightly and gasping for breath, he kept his eyes closed.

He was still stuck far from reality when he felt a hand brush against his cheek.

A shock followed by an intense overwhelming warmth hit him with the touch.

His eyes shot open and he stared right into the eyes of what he could only describe as the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.

I'm in heaven, he thought, I've died and now I'm in heaven.

He kept gazing at the woman in front of him, admiring her features against the bright sun shining at him from behind her head.

He reached out to touch her wrist as she leaned over him, seeing panic flash in her eyes the moment he made contact.

In the next second her hand had escaped from his grasp and she was backing away into the ocean.

"Wait!" He shouted, his voice coming out raspy and forced, the dryness in his throat making him sound quieter than he intended.

That's when he saw it.

The woman dived headfirst into the tide, a shimmering blue-green opal colored tail slapped in after her, and then she was gone.

He starred in shock for a few moments before he looked down at the hand that had held her wrist.

Laying in his palm was a gold charm bracelet.

Y/N POV

Your hand came over your mouth, silencing your gasp at the realization the boy you had saved now had your bracelet.

"I don't know.... but seriously Taehyung? A mermaid? They don't exist okay." Said the voice belonging to Yoongi.

You heard someone stand and footsteps approach the surf shack.

You froze in fear, unable to propel yourself into the sea like you should have done.

"HEY," someone shouted from the distance, "Namjoon wants us all to have a meeting before tonight, come on!"

You heard the approaching footsteps stop in their tracks, followed by a frustrated groan before the two people turned back and walked away.

You breathed a sigh of relief at the sound of them departing and rested against the back of the surf shack.

That was too close, you thought, still trying to catch your breath.

---

You were pacing in the lobby waiting for Hyun-joo to come and tell you what your task was for the night.

The bellhop watching you from behind the desk suddenly stiffened which signaled to you that the devil herself was now standing behind you.

"Y/N darling" came the voice that caused shivers in your spine, "Thank you for coming back!"

You spun around to face the woman walking up behind you, smiling sweetly at her.

"Of course I did Hyun-joo, I'm always ready to help you out"

"Great. In that case, would you mind filling in for our bartender for a couple hours? He couldn't find a babysitter in time so he's running late dropping his kid off at his parents house." She finished in a rush, making her way past you and picking up the clipboard from the nervous bellhop.

Looks like you'll be in full view of everyone at the party, you sighed, better pray that boy doesn't spot you there.

You nodded and bowed in her direction and began to walk off when her next words hit you.

"By the way, I saw you with that blonde boy earlier." She started, causing you to look back at her wide-eyed.

"He's part of the special guests we have this evening, very famous and as you probably already know, very handsome." She smirked at you at that last part, a hint of teasing in her tone. "I just wanted to let you know that they are off-limits. Not that they would be interested in the staff anyways but..." she trailed off winking at you before turning her back to you.

"Understood?" She asked you, back still turned.

You shook your head and rolled your eyes at her, getting a bit of satisfaction from it before giving her a stern "Understood Ma'am" and stalking off to towards the beach festival.