Chapter 14

You decided to take a taxi home, taking into account Soon-ja's warning about being in the ocean. 

The ride back to your house was anything but relaxing, you couldn't shake the empty feeling you felt as soon as you were away from Taehyung as easily as you could the last few days. The confusion and drama of the situation that had just happened also weighing on your mind as you paid the driver and walked the short distance to your house. 

When you walked through the door you threw your bag off to the side and went upstairs immediately. You made a b-line directly to your laptop and brought it over to your desk. You opened it, furiously typing into google 'lore and myths about mermaids' for what seemed like the 1000th time since you turned. 

You scrolled hundreds of pages, hours passing, and finding nothing to explain the connection you felt with Taehyung and why it made your eyes glow. You couldn't wait until Soon-ja gave you her book of mermaid secrets, you needed to find answers, and you needed to find them now.  

You heard birds chirping outside before you saw the sun, realizing you had been up all night. 

You tiredly closed your laptop and crawled into bed deciding that you wouldn't be able to focus on research anyways in the condition you were currently in. 

As you drifted off to sleep you couldn't keep your mind off of the image of Taehyung, missing the way your eyes glowed again at the memory of last night's almost-kiss...

------

Your alarm woke you up a few hours later, notifying you of your impending cafe meeting with the same person that wracked your dreams since your head hit the pillow. You swung your legs off the side of the bed and made your way to the bathroom, turning on the faucet before looking up at the mirror to brush your teeth.

You stared at your reflection in the mirror for a moment, studying your eyes. You leaned closer and pulled your eyelids up, trying to figure out what was going on with them.

This is ridiculous, you thought to yourself suddenly pulling back from the mirror, I'm acting crazy.

You finished getting ready and threw on a skirt and shirt ensemble, something you rarely wore. Since you usually swam everywhere you never tried to put on anything more complicated than a plain sundress. 

Soon-ja's warning to stop swimming for now was sitting in the back of your mind as you studied yourself in the mirror.

You opted for a small leather bag today, since you didn't need to carry around the water-proof ugly sack of crap you usually did. 

As you walked along the side of the road towards the main boardwalk, you realized you had forgotten how long it actually took. An hour later and you were sweating your makeup off, hair a frizzy mess. 

Once the cafe came into view you felt a pang of anxiety hit you, a knot forming in your stomach.

Taehyung was most likely already waiting for you inside, and there was no escaping this interaction. 

Where do I even start? And even if I do properly explain it to him how do I convince him to never share my secret?

Thoughts swirled through your mind, making you feel dizzy with worry as you pushed through the glass doors into the heavily air-conditioned cafe. 

Just as expected, there he was. 

In the far corner of the cafe, tucked into a booth was a nervous looking Taehyung sat fidgeting in his seat. 

You took a deep breath and walked over to him, dropping your bag onto the table and sliding into the seat opposite him.

He looked up at the sound of your approach, not saying a word, just watching you.