Chapter 36

We had just gotten back from a small engagement party, no other plans for the day. The sun was on its way down and Jeffrey was watching it, though it looked like something else was on his mind. I stood at the other end of the living room after I got back from the bathroom and I looked at his beautiful frame. He was still in the suit from the party, hands in pockets, hair beautifully combed back, making him look as charming as ever. His face, though as dazzling as ever, was full of thought. 

''What are you thinking about?'' I questioned, startling him

''What are you thinking about?'' I questioned, startling him. ''Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you'' I chuckled. 

''Just the accident, love. Sometimes I think about it'' he replied. The accident was more than one week ago. ''It could've ended so bad. What would I do if that corner...ah, fuck'' he couldn't really continue what he wanted to say but I knew what he meant. It was so sweet that he thought about me and not himself, when in my mind it was the other way around. We really completed each other, didn't we? 

''Jeff, we're here'' I went to stand in front of him and touched his cheek gently. Somehow, it felt weird, unreal; it felt as if I wasn't really touching him. My hand looked like it was touching his cheek, but I didn't feel anything. Strange. ''We're here, we're alive. There is no reason to think that it could've ended horribly because we are here, standing in front of each other. We're breathing'' I smiled at him to show him comfort. 

His face, however, kept frowning more and more and I was getting more confused. I kept smiling at him to try to make it all better, I kept touching his face, caressing it - but nothing. ''We're alive'' I repeated as I continued looking into his eyes. Lifting myself up on my tippy toes I went in for a kiss that I just could not feel. Why couldn't I feel his lips on mine? ''What's going on?'' I said in fear, voice and lips trembling, heart pounding. 

He looked at me with that weird facial expression and it looked like the room kept getting lighter and lighter, making everything look surreal. Was something happening to me? Was I dehydrated? Was I about to pass out? ''Jeffrey'' I spoke again, my voice in echoes. ''Jeffrey, what's going on with me?'' my heart was pounding inside my chest and I could feel a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. 

''You're dead'' he told me, his voice also echoing around the room. ''You're dead, Iris'' he repeated, his eyes watering as he looked at me. ''Dead''. 

Suddenly, I could feel a strong and sharp force of air take over my lungs and I breathed in so heavily that it hurt. I looked up and all I saw was white. It looked as if I was looking at a white ceiling. It felt as if I had just opened my eyes, as if I had just woken up. But how? I was just awake and talking to Jeffrey. There was a solid ringing in my ears and although it almost took over my ears completely, I could still hear some distant voices, lots of them. What was going on? Why couldn't I move? Why did my body hurt? 

I heard someone call my name and I didn't know where to look. The voice kept repeating my name until I finally managed to move my head and look to my left side. My vision was quite blurry, but I could see that the person talking to me was Jeffrey. It looked as if I was looking at him through fog, but I still managed to make out his beautiful features; he looked concerned though. Why wasn't he in the same blue suit as just a few minutes ago and why weren't we at home? 

''Why'' I tried to start asking questions. 

''You're awake. Thank heavens'' Jeff exclaimed softly as I felt his hand caress my head. What did he mean? I still had no idea what was going on, why everything was so confusing, why there were so many voices around me. I had no idea why people kept touching my arms, why it felt like I had needles in them and why my body hurt. 

''What...what do you mean?'' I managed to speak. 

''You've been asleep for almost 24 hours, we first thought it was a coma''. Coma? What? I was starting to panic so I tried to sit up to fucking see what was going on. Confusion was officially my best friend. 

''No, no, no, lay back down'' I heard another voice say to me and I looked to see a person in scrubs. What the fuck? Was I at the hospital? 

''But we were just at home, we came back from Daniel and Jasmine's engagement party'' I tried to tell him. 

''What engagement party, Iris? And who are Daniel and Jasmine?'' he looked at me with the most concerned look I'd ever seen. Fuck, I had really been in a coma?! 

''Wait...So you mean that Norman, Greg and Andrew never came to pick us up from the hospital after the accident? We were never back at the hotel and then back in New York?'' I was crying in panic and confusion. 

''No, love'' Jeffrey shook his head, his hand on my face as he caressed it gently. 

''I think...'' maybe I did dream all of it. ''I think I dreamed everything...''. 

''You probably did. You were asleep for almost 24 hours, Mrs Morgan. It's normal to have dreams that seem real just as it's normal to wake up disoriented'' the doctor told me as he checked on the machine attached to my bed. 

''But what exactly happened?'' I asked. 

''During the accident, the car was shaken so badly that you hit your head several times, making you lose your conscience. That caused your body to fall into a semi-coma. We're glad you're back'' he smiled at me and I nodded my head. ''My advice is for you to not make any sudden movements and to rest your body for now. Don't hesitate to call for us if you have any questions'' he said before leaving the room together with two nurses. 

I looked at Jeffrey and asked for his hand to hold. ''So, I've been here since the accident happened? I never woke up in the car and we never got out together?''. 

''No'' he shook his head. ''The firefighters had to take us out. You not waking up was the most horrible, scariest moment of my life. I'm so happy you're awake, my love'' he leaned down and kissed my forehead. I couldn't believe that something like that could happen to us, I thought it only happened in movies. 

''I'm glad that you're not hurt though'' I smiled at him as I brought his hand up to my mouth and kissed it. 

''We're both alive'' he said. 

''We are''.