002. all the help

› CHAPTER TWO ‹

› CHAPTER TWO ‹

"Raleigh, it'd be nice if you paid attention." Liz Allan, also known to Raleigh as the leader of the decathlon team and head of her senior class, called towards the younger boy after realizing he hadn't been listening to her. She was supposed to get her team ready for the decathlon year, and since she wanted to get to Nationals for her final high school year, she needed everyone's focus. But with one of her members more focused on reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland instead of paying attention to her, it made her stress all the more painful.

Peter Parker, who had been sitting beside Raleigh, noticed that the boy still hadn't acknowledged Liz and quickly nudged him in the side with his elbow. Raleigh peaked through his hair at Peter, giving him an annoyed expression. The boy motioned to the front of the classroom where Liz was, who was growing more impatient as the seconds went by.

Raleigh turned to Liz, surprised to see a frown directed at him from Liz. However, before she could say anything to him, Eugene 'Flash' Thomson beat her to it. He scoffed. "It's the start of our meetings, and you're already bringing us down."

Raleigh, much like a lot of other people, didn't like Flash. He was a bully and enjoyed trying and rip weaker people apart, which Raleigh guessed had to stem from his own personal issues, but even with that, he didn't really have any pity for Flash. And usually, Raleigh ignored Flash because he found that would make him madder since he had been trying to get a stir out of Raleigh.

Peter Parker and his best friend, Ned Leeds, normally did the same thing since they were, typically, the ones at the end of Flash's bullying. Raleigh liked the two friends, but he never talked to them outside of their classes or extracurricular activities. The only time Raleigh had spoken to one of them outside of class was about a month-and-a-half ago when news spread that Peter's uncle had been murdered, and Raleigh wanted to wish Peter and his aunt well.

"Maybe we should just stop for today..." Liz mumbled, running a hand down her face.

"What?" Raleigh immediately felt guilt. "No! I'm sorry. I'll pay attention."

To make his point, he closed his book and set it down between him and Peter. Liz gave him a light warning but agreed to continue.

› › › ›

Raleigh walked up the steps of the apartment, his back aching from sitting still for so long. The decathlon meeting had gone longer than anyone anticipated, but after seeing what happened when Raleigh zoned out, everyone refused to say anything and listened as intently as they could to Liz as she thoroughly explained the plan for the upcoming season. A part of Raleigh regretted signing up for the team since he knew it was just another responsibility on his plate and another thing to stress him out, but he couldn't disappoint his team.

"I'm home," Raleigh uttered loud enough for Trystan to hear, knowing he was usually in the kitchen at this time making dinner or laying out take-out. Raleigh had his back turned as he closed the door and took off his shoes.