017. starks disapproval

› CHAPTER SEVENTEEN ‹

Peter didn't want to leave until he made sure the ferry returned to the docks safely and the people on board were allowed to either go home or go to the hospital to be checked out. Raleigh didn't think he would be able to sleep either if he retreated home without knowing what happened to the ferry, so the duo sat on a tower that overlooked the Upper Bay.

The sun was setting, which only attested to how long the clean up has been going on. A few news helicopters hummed above them and police boats followed the unsteady ferry (that was being hauled by an equally large boat) towards the docking port, where every emergency vehicle necessary waited.

He had his mask sitting beside him, just next to Peter's own mask, and he nearly knocked them off in fright when Iron Man returns.

"Previously on Peter and Raleigh Screws the Pooch..." He continues hovering. "...I tell you to stay away from this. Instead, you hacked a multimillion-dollar suit so you could sneak around behind my back... doing the one thing I told you not to do."

Raleigh couldn't face Tony, even if it was just his suit. He felt too ashamed of himself to do anything.

"Is everyone okay?" Peter decided to ask.

"No thanks to either of you."

Peter finally turns to Iron Man. "No thanks to us?" He takes his mask, leaving Raleigh's behind, and hops down. He approaches Tony. Raleigh takes his own mask and shifts on the ledge to find out what is happening. "Those weapons were out there, and I tried to tell you about it... but you didn't listen. None of this would've happened if you had just listened to me!"

Raleigh slides off and takes a few steps closer to the two.

"If you even cared, you'd actually be here."

The front of the Iron Man suit opened up and Tony Stark walked out of it. Both Raleigh and Peter took a nervous step back. "I did listen, kid. Who do you think called the FBI, huh?"

Raleigh shook his head and stepped closer. "How were we supposed to know that?" He shot at Tony, who turned to him. He didn't appear bothered by the outburst, which agitated Raleigh even more. "No one ever tells us what is happening and we don't have any way to even talk to you! So how were we supposed to know?!"

"You were supposed to trust me," Tony said, his voice eerily calm. He continued taking steps and both teenagers took the same steps back. "Do you know I was the only one who believed in you two. Everyone said I was crazy to recruit a 14-year-old-kid—" He turned to Raleigh and the boy swallowed nervously. "That it was ridiculous to help you out after what happened."

Peter attempted to correct him on his age, stepping on Tony's last nerve.

"No, this is where you zip it, all right? The adult is talking." He made sure the notion went for both teenage boys. "What if somebody had died tonight? Different story, right? Because that's on you two. And if either of you died..." He settled his hands on his chest. "...I feel like that's on me. I don't need that on my conscience."