028. thunder mischief death

› CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT ‹

Just before Raleigh had gone to bed, he had decided he was going to sneak out to see Thor and Loki. It would be the first time he had ever snuck out of the house since he was usually open with Trystan about everything and had no reason to lie and sneak around behind his back. Moreover, as long as everything went okay, the meeting shouldn't take very long, three hours tops. He was going to take the subway to New York City and then walk the rest of the way to the nursing home.

After doing a little research on the nursing home that Odin had resided in for quite some time, he learned that it was scheduled to be bulldozed soon, that is if it wasn't already. He was fortunate and relieved to find anything on the building since it wasn't a running business any longer. He had no idea if that was why Odin left the nursing home in the first place, or just because of the spell he was under broke.

When the morning rolled around, Raleigh acted less upset about Trystan's demanding decision but played the role of a still bothered teenager who just wanted to be left alone in his bedroom. To no surprise, after breakfast, Trystan tried to talk him out from staying in his room, but Raleigh argued that he was just going to watch videos on his laptop and facetime his friends. He eventually left him alone and Raleigh could hear the television playing just outside his closed door.

As ten neared, he slipped on a pair of jeans, a good vibes t-shirt, and an old green jacket, along with his used sneakers. He grabbed his money off his dresser and opened his bedroom window. He was fortunate when it came to having a back bedroom that had a fire escape. It came into good use with his vigilante-hero hobby and for this case, it was good because Trystan wouldn't know he snuck out.

Raleigh stepped onto the fire escape as quietly as he could and glanced back to his bedroom. He paused as he reached for his window to close it as guilt crept up around his shoulders. Trystan Dagher was only ever good to him and now he was betraying that trust he had with him. Yet, Raleigh knew he needed to follow through with dying Odin's one request, or else he would regret it for the rest of his life wondering what would have happened had he saw Loki and Thor off.

He took a deep breath and closed the window behind him.

Sorry, Trystan...

› › › ›

The subway was busy, but Raleigh didn't mind the traffic since he didn't have enough money for a thirty-minute taxi drive. No matter, he was still happy to get off the stuffy train and get onto New York City's sidewalk. It was just after eleven-thirty, giving him plenty of time to follow his phone's direction to Shady Acres Care Home. Still, at this moment, he wished he had brought his Aureate suit or at least had a June programmed into his phone fo her A.I. could give him better instructions than his phone's map was.

No matter how janky the instructions were, he still managed to stumble upon the destroyed nursing home. He could easily tell that the building had just been demolished as workers and their trucks were working on clearing the pile of rubble. The area was loud but Raleigh ignored it as he found a bench a few feet away from where the entrance would be to Shady Oaks and kept a close lookout for Thor or Loki.