016. the ferry mistake

› CHAPTER SIXTEEN ‹

› CHAPTER SIXTEEN ‹

Raleigh felt a lot better the following day, much to Trystan's delight. The male had created a feast for breakfast, afraid that Raleigh was going to wake up just as upset as he had been last night, but he was relieved to see the amused grin that lifted on the boy's lips at the sight of the pancakes, eggs, and turkey bacon. Rarely did Trystan make anything for breakfast, opting for the easy oatmeal or yogurt, so it was easy for Raleigh to detect the concern for him in the food.

Trystan had even decided that he was going to drive Raleigh to school, but they both knew that was more due to him almost dying yesterday, then how he was feeling afterward. So even though he wanted to let him know he was okay taking the subway, he remained silent and allowed his guardian to take him to school. He could see that Trystan was feeling the nerves of yesterday as well, making him glad he didn't know about how he was fighting guys with alien tech. Trystan supported his hero-vigilante ways, but he wasn't sure how much he'd support him nearly dying in the hands of them.

"This past weekend, Midtown's Academic Decathlon team..." Raleigh paused in front of one of the small televisions in the hallway of the school, noticing the school news playing. He rarely paid mind to the school news, but hearing about the Academic Decathlon caught his attention. "...defeated the country's best to win the national championship. Later that day, they also defeated death."

"Explosion. Sally scream. Flash scream. Everybody screaming." Abe screamed and Raleigh recognized this as the official news stations recording.

Charles waved his arms around. "There were purple lasers and smoke. It was—" There was a beep as they censored his curse word. "—tight like a Bon Jovi concert."

"As you know, we made it out alive, and that's the important thing. I couldn't bear to lose a student on a school trip." Mr. Harrington's eyes faded away. "Not again."

"Thankfully, no one was seriously injured thanks to the Spider-Man." Jason said over Mr. Harrington's zoomed in expression.

In what was probably the most awkward cutting, the face of Mr. Harrington disappeared and Raleigh's face popped up.

It was clear how shaken up he was at the time the news station spoke to him. "I'm just happy we're safe." He went quiet as past Raleigh's attention moved from the camera and to the reporter as she asked him to say something about the masked hero. Past him turned back to the camera and smiled tightly. "Spider-Man was cool too."

It switched back to Betty and Jason, the school news anchors. "Thank you, Spider-Man."

"Up next: the Spider-Man mania is sweeping the school. How can you show your spider spirit?"

As the news switched to something different, many students grew bored and begun moving away. A few noticed Raleigh and begun bombarding him with questions about Spider-Man and if he had caught a glimpse of him. He didn't bother explaining how they were in the same elevator together and just repeated his line from the news.