022. guy in the chair

› CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO ‹

"I can't believe we just stole Flash's dad's car," Raleigh laughed, despite the situation they were in. His laughter died down quickly when he realized Peter was driving straight for a pole. In a panic, Raleigh pushed his power against the pole, sliding the car in the correct direction and pushing his body into the passenger side door. Dropping his powers, he settled sent him a look. "Have you ever driven a car?"

"Can you just call Ned, Raleigh?!" Peter didn't reply to his question, giving him the answer he was asking for. He wanted to scold him for driving, but he knew he didn't have any room to argue since he didn't know much about driving himself. Instead, he fumbled with his phone, doing as his friend asked and dialed Ned. He put it on speaker at the loudest volume.

"Go for Ned," Ned answered with and Raleigh rolled his eyes facetiously at his enthusiasm. He was obviously thrilled to finally be the guy in the chair.

"Ned, I need you to track my phone." Peter leaned over and yelled towards the phone. The car swerved a little more, so Raleigh anxiously pushed him back to where he needed to be while driving. "I left it in the back of his car!"

"Genius move." Raleigh could hear Ned typing swiftly over a keyboard. "Okay, he just passed the GameStop on Jackson Avenue."

Raleigh looked away from his cellphone and at the road, seeing Peter coming upon a stopped car and from what he could tell, Peter wasn't slowing down. In a moment of sheer panic, Raleigh pushed his hands forward. Glittering gold seeped through the cracks in the car and swam across the highway, before encasing the car in front of them. The pressure of the car was heavy on his limbs and as he flicked his arms to the side to slide the car out of there way, he felt a pain travel up his forearms. He quickly dropped it and grabbed his right arm as he watched the car swerve right beside a fence. The tires on the car ripped up the grass and a woman stepped out of the vehicle running hands threw her hair and examining her car.

"Sorry!" Raleigh yelled even though he knew she couldn't hear him.

Peter continued avoiding every obstacle and due to the sharp movements, Raleigh was beginning to feel extreme motion sickness. He could handle Peter swinging him around Queens, but his driving was a near breaking point for him. In a desperate attempt to stop himself from vomiting in Flash's car, he gripped the side of his seat and let out controlled breaths.

"Hey, where are the headlights on this thing?" Peter asked. "I'm in Flash's car."

"You stole Flash's car?" Ned laughed. "Awesome."

Raleigh caught his phone as it nearly slipped off his thigh. He held it in his hand and smirked. "You should have seen his face. He was so surprised and scared... serves him right."

"Headlights?!" Peter again yelled out in a full panic.

Raleigh started to explain about the lever to his right, but he stopped when Peter suddenly turned onto a road full of stopped traffic. The boy screamed and begged everyone to move despite not a single individual hearing him. Alarmed by the situation, Raleigh leaned over and took a hold of the wheel and fought for control for a moment, before maneuvering onto the empty sidewalk until they were back to the front of the traffic. He gave control back to Peter and leaned over his lap and twisted the lever for the headlights. The lights flashed on.