Chapter 40: Letting the water settle

'Come to my side now'

Third Person POV

Yoongi held Jimin's hand tight as they walked into the quiet house. The silence was unnerving and gave Yoongi too much time to think about how Namjoon may hate him right now. He felt physically sick to walk into his own home with the man he loved since he knew that there was heartbreak happening upstairs. Heartbreak due to him.

Walking towards the set of stairs, Yoongi halted, looking up to the next floor. His hands became clammy and his breathing became sharper. He couldn't do it. But he had to.

Feeling the anxious change in Yoongi, Jimin squeezed his hand before giving him a light kiss on his cheek.

"He'll understand. Just be honest with him."

Feeling Jimin's hand slowly leave his own, Yoongi tried to calm himself down. They'd been friends for years, best friends. He was the only person that he knew he could trust with his life, hence why he was his second in command. His right hand man. And now because they had both fallen in love, they had a crack in their trust and friendship.

Taking a deep breath, Yoongi walked up the flight of stairs to the first floor, halting slightly at the next set before carrying on. He tried to be as quiet as possible since the silence made the smallest sounds become deafening.

Walking towards the spare room, Yoongi tried to listen for any sign of what was happening in there but all he heard was silence. Slowing his pace, Yoongi approached the open door. He stopped just before the door frame, unsure of what to say once he entered. How would he be able to talk to him? What could he say? For the first time, Yoongi truly had no idea what to say to Namjoon, and that terrified him.

"You just going to stand there all day?"

Yoongi snapped his head up, disturbing his thoughts as he heard his friend's voice. Knowing he couldn't hide anymore, he slowly walked into the room, stopping just in the doorway as he saw Jin's condition. He had seen him when they took him in but this was the first time he could see the true damage that they had caused to him.

His face was pale and marked, his lip split, his neck covered with marks that even made Yoongi feel sick. His heart broke at the sight, but it hurt even more seeing how Namjoon looked.

It had only been a few hours but he already looked exhausted. His skin was slightly red from the tears that had laid on it and his hair was a mess from him pulling at it with stress and anger. Yoongi couldn't help but blame himself for his appearance.

"I'm so sorry Namjoon."

Namjoon remained quiet for a minute, continuing to look at Jin as he held his hand. He didn't want to look at Yoongi yet. He just wanted to hear if he was sincere with his apology.

"I'm sorry...this is my fault. I-I shouldn't have let them go in the first place. I should've made sure I was more focused on the mission...on them, instead of my family issues."

Namjoon remained focused on Jin, his silence pushing Yoongi to go on.

"I put myself first like I always do...and because of that your family suffered. I...truly am sorry Namjoon. I hope you can forgive me..."

Yoongi gave a bow towards Namjoon and Jin, ensuring it was slow to show how much he meant every word he had said to him.

"I take full responsibility for what happened tonight."

"But your family was hurt too..."

Yoongi rose from his bow to see Namjoon turned in the chair to look at him. As their eyes met, Namjoon stood up, slowly walking towards Yoongi.