Chapter 45: Angelfish

'The stars are floating'

Third Person POV

Jimin sat on a bench in the middle of the aquarium, glass walls surrounding him, allowing reflective patterns to dance over his skin. He felt at peace somehow, despite the whirlwind of a day that he'd had. The gleams of different colours passing by as the fish swam placing him in some sort of trance.

He knew he wasn't alone, the feeling of the cushion on the bench moving as his company shifted reminding of the reason why he was currently sat in a beautiful aquarium. He could practically feel the guards' eyes piercing his skull as they watched his every move, ensuring he wasn't going to try anything. And yet, he still somehow felt calm in the silent building. No surprise it was empty, a gang leader was currently sat in there admiring some Nemo look-a-likes.

It was an odd atmosphere. A silence that was neither reassuring nor unnerving. He felt at peace and yet still on guard as Taemin turned to speak to him.

"They're beautiful aren't they?"

Jimin hummed in response, keeping his eyes fixed on the tank displaying the rainbow of fish. He didn't want to look at Taemin, his head was already a mess as it was.

At the beginning of the day, he believed he would be constantly having to defend himself, having Taemin throwing all different advances and attacks at him. But, the complete opposite has happened. All day Taemin has been a gentleman to him, opening doors for him, giving him room, and not touching him unless he had permission. The whole act had thrown Jimin off quite a bit, unsure of who he was dealing with now and whether or not Taemin was being genuine or simply trying to play a game.

Feeling Taemin scoot closer on the bench slightly, Jimin glanced at him out the corner of his eye. He could see how calm Taemin was; the way his facial expression relaxed as fish gracefully swam past. He looked like a normal person, not a notorious gang leader. But something was bugging Jimin. Why was he being so nice?

"What's your favourite?"

Taemin's voice halting Jimin's train of thought, Jimin looked over at Taemin, trying to figure out what he had just asked, not quite hearing all of the question. Taemin seemed to notice as he smiled at Jimin, lifting his arm to point at the tank in front of them.

"The fish. Which is your favourite?"

Jimin's eyes widened slightly in surprise, unsure of what to answer. He wasn't expecting that question, nor had he really picked out a favourite. Looking back at the glass, Jimin watched the fish, trying to find one that called out to him. All the fish were beautiful in their own way but one suddenly caught his eye.

Eyes sparkling with joy, Jimin pointed out a fish swimming near the front of the glass.

"That one."

Taemin looked at the fish and smiled, finding the choice to be well suited.

"That's an angelfish. A queen angelfish to be precise. They're very beautiful, don't you think?"

Jimin smiled, admiring the fish.

"It's gorgeous."

Taemin looked over at Jimin, admiring his awed state. The way his eyes glistened as he watched the fish dance around was enchanting, and Taemin could feel himself being pulled in by his natural beauty.

Noticing Taemin's stare, Jimin turned to look at him slightly before moving back to look at the fish, feeling slightly uncomfortable. Trying to break the unsettling mood, Jimin tried to carry on the conversation.

"How do you know about the different types of fish?"

Taemin seemed surprised by Jimin carrying on the conversation, but was more than happy to answer him.