10

Luke

I woke up to someone's head hitting my chest, a small sob escaping their lips.

Bella.

Although she'd been through so much, and woken us up a lot, there were also many times she didn't even try to wake us up- so this meant she felt awful.

I brushed the hair out her face, scratching her back while she pressed her head further into me.

"What hurts?"

"My face, my head and I have a toothache," she whined, looking up with her eyes closed.

Carefully, I felt her head and round her neck which was swollen. She was breathing through her mouth so I gently moved her chin down to see if the toothache was from this.

"I can't see a problem with your teeth, so it's probably from this,"

I sat her up more, giving her a tissue and asking Ash to pick up some strong painkillers- they were already at work.

"I think you got lucky, you have a bad cold by the looks of things,"

"I don't feel lucky. My mouth hurts," she complained, "my baby tooth is being kicked out,"

"Calum wants to see about braces for you,"

"No cos that means a dentist that's not him,"

"Yeah, but his family care about people a lot, and wanna take care of people, so his sister Mali will be doing it," I explained, trying to get it across that they don't wanna hurt her.

With a perfect reason, she obviously hated people having more control over her body than her.

"No, it's embarrassing. I hate my teeth,"

"Most people do,"

I put the tv on and tucked her in before going downstairs to make breakfast. Not often did I get a week day off, so as much as I loved my job, it was nice to relax.

I made us both a cheese toastie, bringing it upstairs and sitting back down next to her.

"I don't like the thought of someone else being able to put all these tools in my mouth and I hate it when I have to see you guys as doctors because you have so much power,"

"Yeah, I get that,"

"And it stresses me out when it's the dentist cos it's really close. You can use things to look and listen whereas they have to sit above you and put tools in your mouth,"

I nodded, putting my arm round her shoulder.

"Am I stupid?"

"No, I think that's a very mature way to talk about it. If anything was done, Mali would only be putting them on and tightening them. Calum would still check them, and do anything that needed doing, and Michael would still clean them,"

"I feel bad because you guys make me feel so safe, but it's impossible to in those situations,"

"They get that, don't worry,"

"I can't believe that less than a year ago I didn't even know who you were, and now you can make everyday better," she sighed, coughing lightly.

I smiled, kissing her head softly as she leant closer to me. It made me feel so accomplished; this girl had been helped by us and was a completely new person. Of course she still had her off days, or quiet days, but she was more upbeat nowadays than if ever seen.

We'd built a lot of trust up between us during the adoption process; she was family.

I felt her body relax, looking down and seeing her almost asleep.

"You can sleep of you want,"

"I want to cuddle you,"

"Well you will be, in your sleep," I laughed, turning the tv down.

"Please text Harry happy birthday,"

"Why don't you?"

"I don't feel well enough,"

"Ok sweetheart, I'll do it,"

She hummed, putting her arm round me and closing her eyes. I took her phone, unlocking it and sending Harry a birthday message.

As she fell asleep on my chest, I continued to watch tv. Her breathing was unsteady, so I tried to move her into a better position- she woke up.

"Just go to sleep, I'm sorry,"

"Don't leave me,"

"I'm not, don't worry,"