37

Bella

When I woke up in the morning, and my mouth was still hurting, I was starting to believe it wasn't my braces anymore.

And that made me feel sick.

Everyone was getting dressed and ready for work so I quickly brushed my teeth and changed into comfy clothes, taking the tablets I needed still.

Calum poked his head round my door then came in, sitting on my bed.

"Do you want me there for your appointment?"

"I don't know, I have a toothache," I frowned.

"I'll come then, in case I need to sort anything ay? Don't worry chic," he said, standing back up and kissing my head.

"I'm feeling really anxious today,"

"That's ok, we will take it slow. You were so good when you got your teeth removed, and a filling is nothing compared to that. I know it's overwhelming but neither of us want to hurt you,"

I nodded and hugged him, feeling my stomach settle a little.

Luke had made me breakfast downstairs so I sat with him and ate.

"I know it's still summer, but thinking about school, are you happy there?"

"As happy as you can be at school,"

"Last year was a bit all over, and it's no problem to me at all that your grades aren't high, but I know you have so much potential. Are you gonna work hard for me this year?"

"Yeah, I've always tried but it's not easy,"

"I get that completely. We will all try and help the best we can,"

"You've helped me so much with a lot of things,"

"You're still a kid Bella, and if I have the chance to change and help your future for the better, I'm not going to hesitate,"

I leant into his side, Calum and Michael coming downstairs.

"I brushed my teeth before breakfast," I grumbled, pushing my chair out.

"Do it there,"

"I'll see you later Bella, whatever happens we can perhaps go on a walk or do a bit of shopping,"

I smiled and nodded, enjoying the idea of being away from the house or the hospital.

Michael squeezed my shoulder and opened the car door for me. The ride there was nerve-racking for me, and my chest felt even tighter than usual because I was still recovering.

After taking my inhaler, I felt a little better. I wasn't panicking because I couldn't breathe.

They gave me a toothbrush and I brushed my teeth, not flossing because I wasn't very good at it and Michael would anyway.

"Alright, Calum said you had a toothache?"

"Yeah, here," I mumbled, pointing to the top left hand side of my mouth.

"Ok, I'll do my best my to not irritate the area then have a look. I'll clean there last,"

First, he checked that all my brackets were still on properly then made sure nothing had rubbed too much. I felt a few cold blasts of air on my teeth then his scaler.

"The front teeth have been cleaned wonderfully, however the back teeth all have quite a build up of plaque. It's really important this doesn't happen because you have braces now,"

I reached for Calum's hand as Michael cleaned my teeth, having to spend a lot longer than usual.

It was embarrassing to me, and I knew they didn't want me to be, but it was.