36

Next week
Bella

"You need to take it easy, but I'm gonna discharge you today," Tom said, letting me look over the x-rays.

"Your fever is gone, and your cough should've cleared up in a couple of weeks. I know you might not feel 100%, maybe not even 60% better, but I promise you are. It feels tight so I'm giving you the inhaler for at home, but by the time school starts your chest will feel normal. Nearer the time, I want you back in so I can check about pe, because it might just be better for Luke to help you exercise,"

"Thankyou,"

"They're all working their last shift, but mine is over so Luke asked me to watch you for a little bit. Why don't you go and get changed?"

I took my leggings and hoodie, going to the bathroom and changing out of the gown. He led me to a shared office where we sat on he sofa together.

"You look a lot better from the last time I saw you," he smiled, "what's been going on?"

"A lot,"

"I heard you see a therapist now? I think it's done you good,"

"I definitely feel lighter, and understand a lot better,"

"Now you can start thinking about your future, because it looks really bright,"

We asked for a little longer before Michael collected me, wrapping his arm round my shoulder as we walked out.

Sadly, I'd have to be back in for an appointment tomorrow but for now, we had the night in.

"Luke's cooking a roast dinner as we speak, and a freshly made bed is waiting for you,"

"Thankyou,"

We got in the car and drove home, the smell of food making my stomach rumble. For the past week, I hadn't had much of an appetite and they'd had to force me to eat- wanting food was a good thing for me.

I sat at the table and smiled as everyone sat down, piles of food on everyone's plate. Mine had significantly less, but still enough to challenge my stomach.

"This smells so good,"

"It'll do you good,"

As I started eating, I could help but notice a dull ache in the back of my mouth. Brushing it off as my braces, I carried on eating. It was delicious after all.

Towards the end, I got really full, but I made room for the bowl of berries Ashton gave me.

"That's the most I've ever seen you eat," Luke praised, " do you feel like you're getting better and stronger?"

"I do, slowly, but I do,"

"I think you've done so well," he said quietly, kissing my head.

The two of us Skyped his family for a bit, making sure they knew I was only getting better. Apparently, Liz has been quite worried and was coming round in the next couple of days.

It no longer surprised me that people were worried. Not in a selfish way, but I'd been shown so much love that it didn't feel impossible anymore.

Before, it was hard to believe a single person in the world could truly be looking out or you, but it changed when I came here.

Everything changed.

As we said goodbye, Ashton ran up behind me and wrapped his arms round me, blowing my hair out his mouth.

"I've missed you," he said, "I feel like I've been a bit distant from you and everyone but I've not been feeling great,"

"It's ok,"

"Are you coming to watch a film with us?"

"If I don't fall asleep in the middle," I laughed, climbing off the stool and sitting between him and Calum.

We watched The Hunger Games, the first time for me, and I loved it. At first, the boys had been wary to show me anything with violence but I'd begged to watch this so they finally let in.

I understood why they wouldn't want me seeing it, but it didn't upset me as much anymore.

I still had bad thoughts about my dad, and it kept me up, or made me upset, or more anxious in the day, but it was less in my mind.

Finally.