34

Luke

"She's gonna be here for a few nights," Tom mumbled, carefully taking her temperature again.

She was on breathing machines, attached to heart monitors with anti- biotics running up the iv.

"How long has she been like this?"

"Well she had a cold earlier this week, and before she left she was just a bit bunged up. She was insisting on going and since it just seemed like a snotty nose, I packed her layers and agreed,"

"At least we caught it early," Ashton sighed, holding her hand gently.

I hated seeing her sick, and it frustrated her because she wanted to be able to get up and do things. It was hard for her to just lay there.

As the day went on, she started waking up a little more and even ate lunch.

"Luke, this thing is itching," she mumbled, scratching at her hand.

"Alright, after this round of medicine I will get someone to change it to the other hand,"

"I feel rubbish,"

"I know sweetheart, why don't you have another little sleep?" I said, running my hand through her hair.

"I've slept all I can,"

"Why don't we watch some Netflix then?"

"Can't we walk or something?"

"Nu-uh babygirl, you need a lot of rest for the next few weeks,"

"But school starts then," she groaned, "this isn't how I wanted my summer to go,"

"It's different now though, isn't it? You know you can have the same freedom and fun next summer," Ashton smiled, pressing the button so a nurse came.

"When can this thing come out my nose?"

"You have to be patient Bella, and I know it sucks, and you feel sick, but we're doing our best,"

A nurse arrived, happily changing her IV when we explained the situation.

"Luke, when can this thing come out my nose?"

"You just asked that hun,"

"Oh, sorry,"

"It's ok, it's all a bit confusing and intense isn't it?"

She nodded, starting to tear up as she leant towards me. I felt her cheek, squeezing her shoulder gently when she wiped her tears.

"Why are we crying?" Ashton whispered, hoping to make her calm down, "everything's ok,"

"I feel so silly,"

"How come?"

"Will I ever be normal again?"

"Hey, hey, the full recovery can take months but you're not any different. You'll be a little tireder, in the long run, but it's ok. Why do you feel silly?"

"I didn't say that,"

"This medicine is making you a bit loopy," Ashton teased, pulling her back up now that she was pretty much laying on my lap.

"I want Luke," she whined, "I want Luke very badly,"

She was huffing, stubbornly pushing Ashton away and reaching for me. Although it was adorable to watch, she wasn't fit in any way to be moving around as much as she was.

"I'm right here babygirl, are you gonna rest up for me? The more you rest, the quicker you can walk and shower yourself,"

"Someone's gonna shower me?" she sulked.

"If you're wanting to shower,"

"Please can you plait my hair?"

I ended up standing behind her, clumsily putting her hair into two braids. They looked horrific, but it was her best shot at her hair not getting as greasy.

I rubbed her shoulder for a bit while she sat up, knowing her body would be aching a bit. Ashton held her hands and they talked together for a bit.

"I'm really sorry for going,"

"We all make mistakes,"

"Am I disappointing?"

"No, we're all really proud of you. Ever since you met us, you've faced your fears and gone out of your comfort zone,"

"I have been really brave," she mumbled, a chuffed smile appearing on her face, " but Calum still scares me with a mask on,"

"Not Michael?"

"I'm not scary, that's why,"

Our attention was turned to the doorway, where Michael and Calum stood.

"Calum," she insisted.

"I thought I was scary," he grinned, taking my place.

"No, I want Luke too, and Michael, and Ashton- I want you all,"

"What have they got you on?" Michael mumbled, tickling her chin, " We'll stay for a bit,"

"How many people have you 'saved' today?"

I shushed her, knowing she was wearing herself out and would start blabbering on.

"I'm tired,"

"What a surprise,"

"Please be here for when I wake up," she mumbled, holding my hand, " I don't want to be alone,"