26

Bella

The curtains opened, letting a burst of light into the room. I knew it wasn't early in the morning, but I wasn't ready to be awake. Someone sat at the end of the bed, gently shaking me to get a response.

"It's Christmas,"

"I know," I yawned, realising it was Jack in the room, "where is Luke?"

"Downstairs getting everyone breakfast,"

"That's a lot,"

"They've bulk made it, come and get some before it's cold,"

"But it's so loud,"

"You can just speak to whoever you want to, you know you can come to my family or Mali or Harry as well as the boys,"

"How does Christmas here even work?"

"Well, you kinda just sit in family and exchange presents, and then open any from the others. You can thank everyone at the end, but if we went one by one we'd be here days,"

"Am I with you?"

"I believe so, everyone's just in their pyjamas,"

"Can you ask someone to get me medicine please?"

He nodded, leaving the room which let me put my hair up. I was burning hot. Ashton came upstairs with a bottle of water and some tablets, sitting me up slowly.

"You're not feeling good at all huh?"

"I'm really hot,"

"The air con is on downstairs, everyone's a bit hot. Come and lay on the sofa because I think Luke's family have dominated the living room anyway,"

I took the medicine, holding his hand as we went downstairs and into the living room. It was a lot colder, and I found myself much more comfy on the sofa.

I could hear other people sat around, but I laid with my eyes shut because I felt too off to do anything else. Eventually, I'd feel ok but not after just waking up.

Someone sat next to me, running their fingers through my hair, but I didn't bother looking because I knew it was Michael.

Once people started organising who was sat where, I opened my eyes and started to sit up. I didn't feel sick anymore, but my sore throat had no intention of leaving and my head pounded.

"First Christmas and you're sick, this sucks," Luke said quietly, sitting next to me.

"I've been sick for ages," I complained, "3 whole days,"

"You'll get better soon, we need to get some more vitamins in you,"

His family sat round the sofas, a pile of gifts by their feet. I also had one, and I had no idea what any of it could possibly be.

Everyone opened a present at the same time, mine being an expensive eyeshadow pallet from Calum.

"That looks nice," Liz said, leaning into Luke to watch as I opened it.

"This is so expensive," I mumbled, looking up at Luke who just smiled.

"Don't let it get ruined then,"

We put the paper in a bag and opened a few more presents, getting things like books and chocolate. Ash got me a speaker and a nice outfit, while Michael got me new shoes and some money; I could wear them at the musical.

I laughed a little when I opened Harry's. Inside was simply a massive bar of chocolate, and all the high school musical films, with a note to say sorry to Luke.

"You should be saying sorry to Ash instead," he laughed, "I'm glad you're working it out,"

"Me too,"

Luke had got me two presents, and the grin on his face scared me slightly. I hadn't got the boys anything, because I didn't have he money and hadn't had the greatest mind recently; I hoped it wasn't more expensive than the others.

I opened the smaller present and bit my lip, feeling the sudden urge to cry as I was surrounded by my gifts. Someone actually thought about me and bought something.

I ripped the second present a little and could already see what was inside, making me turn to Luke and hug him.

"You told me you didn't have your own camera, and now you can take photos and edit them, or do your research for school,"

"Thankyou,"

I felt my body start to shake, a few tears starting to fall. Luckily everyone was starting to move round, so they couldn't see.

"You've given me a new family, and you spoil me so much. This is all so expensive to buy, and there's so many people here that are nice,"

He shushed me, kissing my head as I stayed on his chest.

"You're gonna make your headache worse," he mumbled, rubbing my back.

"I'm just really overwhelmed,"

"I know, I know. We are all gonna cook now so I think you should have a nap wherever,"

I stayed downstairs to sleep since the air con was on, and woke up to someone shaking me.

"Harry," Ashton scolded, "time to wake up, Bella,"

"No,"

"Yes," he chuckled, pulling me off the sofa. Although the food smelt amazing, I had no appetite and there was no space next to Luke.

Calum got me a glass of milk and ended up sitting me between him and Mali. I was kinda glad, because I had questions.

As we started eating, she turned to me.

"So what did you get?"

"Too much," I smiled, "Luke got me a camera and a computer,"

"Hey we all put money towards that," Calum sulked, "but it was his idea,"

"I got a few books and clothes too,"

She nodded, watching how fidgety I was getting.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm nervous for braces," I admitted, "because I don't know what to expect,"

"Ok, so you know you had moulds? Your brackets are being made to fit your mouth right now with all the specific measurements. Next week, you will come in and I will glue them on, put a wire on as well as the colour you want. Then I will tell you how to look after them and hopefully Michael can give you a cleaning once you're a bit less achy to make sure it all goes well,"

"How long will it take?"

"Maybe up to an hour, but that includes my talking and the photos,"

"Are you gonna be there?" I asked Calum, pushing the food round my plate.

"Where? Oh... no, I don't think any of us are off,"

"Can I bring Harry?"

"If you think it will help, go ahead,"