27

Luke

"It's all set up for you," I smiled, bringing the computer up to Bella's room. Most of our family had left now, which dampened my mood, but we would all meet up soon for Calum and Bella's birthday.

She stood looking in the mirror with he outfit she got for Christmas, turning as I came in.

"You look lovely,"

"Do I?"

"So beautiful, pose for me," I said, turning her camera on and taking photos as she shook her head and turned away.

"Come on," I teased, "you look good,"

She smiled a bit and blushed, but grabbed the camera from me and started taking photos. Instead of hiding, I started posing for them which made her laugh.

"Amazing,"

"I want them edited, ready for vogue,"

She put the camera down, sitting down, her smile faltering.

"Luke, why have you done this all for me?"

"What?" I asked, sitting next to her and rubbing her back. She shrugged, resting her head on my shoulder and breathing out.

"It's just like, you treat so many people a week, and I happened to end up with you. You took enough notice to get me help, then offered to take me in when you only knew what was on my medical records. You probably didn't even have the money to support me, and you don't have the time, but you still do so much for me and it's like... there was such a small chance of us ever meeting but you've saved me from so much pain,"

"Sweetheart," I mumbled, "don't question why we've helped you, or if you deserve it,"

"I don't mean it like that... I don't even know ok,"

"No, it's ok, I kinda get what you mean. It's not often, or even at all, that I get a patient in a situation like yours so it was important to help,"

"Thankyou. Over Christmas it sunk in how much family I've now got, and how lucky I am to be put with someone so kind and selfless,"

"You're growing up, and you should have a stable home to live in, with people who care and can help with your problems. I know it was a big decision, but it wasn't a split one either. We did think about it, so please don't worry that you're a burden,"

She knelt up and wrapped her arms round my neck, staying quiet as I hugged her. It often happened that she had outbursts, then went completely quiet again, and I didn't know if she was afraid to speak or didn't think it was needed.

Either way, it was important when she did.

"What are you gonna do today then?"

"Can Harry come over?"

"Are you sure everything's ok with him? I don't want you getting upset,"

"Well he's explained himself, and I think I trust him. He seemed really upset,"

"Was he?"

"He was crying, and he never cries,"

"Ok, I guess so,"

"Can he come when I get my braces since no one else is?"

"Yeah, but he needs to take you to Calum straight after,"

She nodded, thanking me and texting Harry. 

I let her be for a while, knowing she would be exhausted after the weekend and that talking to people wouldn't help. Ashton was downstairs, ironing the fresh duvets while Calum cleaned the final bits up. I grabbed a bag of rubbish and took it outside, already seeing Harry getting out the car.

"She's in her room, could you take her up a glass of water? I don't know how much she's drunk today,"

"Yeah," he said, stopping by me, "I'm really sorry for everything I caused,"

"As long as you mean that, it's ok. Go and make her happy again,"

He smiled and nodded, heading into the house.

At least the hurt was over, for now.