Chapter 28 - A Second Notebook

Your P.O.V

We stayed in bed most of Sunday morning, we were discussing what to do next about Ryuga. Light stayed silent for a bit, he was thinking of something. "(Y/N), if my hunch is correct, I'm assuming that L will next invite us to join the task force. He'd want to keep an eye on us and see if he catches anything...he may even interrogate us,"Light said. I gulped a little when he said that. "Just be prepared if he does ask us, we will agree to this too." Light got out of bed to get dressed, when he was done he took a seat at his desk.

I watched as his mood started to change, his eyebrows furrowed a little and he folded his arms. He hates it when we talk about Ryuga. "That asshole must be killed, but we can't rush into this, one mistake can mess everything up,"he said. We both stayed quiet for a moment, I wasn't sure of what to say, I wasn't as good as making smart moves like him.

I eventually mumbled,"How are we going to find out his name?" I waited for an answer but Light remained quiet, he was thinking of a plan I could tell. But suddenly he slammed his fists down on the desk making me jump, his hair covering his eyes. "All we can do for now is 'help' him and try to gain his trust,"Light said huskily. I saw his shoulders tense up so I turned to face the window, I didn't like it when he was mad. I dared to ask in a bit of a whisper,"H-How long will we have to stay at the task force..?" Light suddenly screamed at me,"I don't know!!" I jumped for the second time and shut my mouth then, I won't anger him further. I fidgeted on the bed and looked down, these moments were always so awkward and scary.

Light was trying to calm down but I still didn't try to talk to him yet, it looked like even Ryuk didn't want to ask for apples. Just then, we saw something fall to the ground outside our window. Light stood up quickly to investigate what had happened. He poked his head out the window and looked down, what he saw made his mouth drop in shock. "Wh-What is it Light?"I asked curiously. Before he could answer he dashed downstairs and out into the garden, he grabbed something before returning fast. He was holding another death note in hand.

Light was just smirking as he flipped through the pages,"This must have been Misa's notebook. Her shinigami claimed it again after she died and must have dropped it here so we'd pick it up." Light then made me touch the notebook too in case another shinigami showed up. I kept glancing left to right then, I was still wary and a little creeped out from Ryuk, I don't know if I could handle another one. Ryuk was chuckling to himself from the whole scene.

We tested the notebook a few times, it was real. After a few minutes went by another shinigami walked through the wall making me jump, it looked feminine with it's purple hair and voice. She glared at Light though, making it plain she despised him. She introduced herself as 'Rem'. "I personally do not like you Light Yagami, I in fact would love to kill you,"Rem said. I swallowed, now feeling a bit afraid, I stood closer to Light. He held my arm reassuringly, he wasn't afraid of her. "But, Misa wanted the real Kira to have this book. She entrusted me with it, asking me to deliver it to you in case something happened to her." She glared daggers at him at that last part, but Light kept his chest puffed out, he didn't care nor cower. "I'm letting her have her last wish, you're lucky she was on your side,"Rem said.

Light broke out into a large smirk, he didn't find Rem a threat anymore. Light turned to me and shook the notebook a little,"This will help us from suspicion." I didn't get what he was planning so I asked blankly. Light then explained,"Now that we have a second notebook, I can give this one to someone else who will fulfil their duty as Kira while we're at the task force. L will be watching us the whole time, we'll look innocent." I nodded in agreement. "He will soon realise that we have nothing to do with it and let us go, then we can kill the new Kira with our original notebook and eventually kill L too." An evil grin spread across Light's face, he seemed to love the thought of Ryuga dying.

"But...how will we kill L?"I asked. Light stood closer to me and held my hands. "We will make the new Kira do the eye deal and spot L for him or herself. They will do it for us,"he said, now pulling me into a hug. Light rubbed my back gently, I guess this was to make up for snapping at me earlier. I then thought about this plan. Yes I thought Light was a genius but I didn't like the idea of this at the same time. I'm already feeling partly guilty whenever I kill criminals for him, I don't want to make another person kill for us.

                            *  *  *
The next morning we heard a knock on the front door. It was Monday now but we didn't have to get up, we had another week of Christmas holiday yet. When we heard Mrs Yagami call our names, Light groaned and got out of bed to go downstairs with me following from behind. We found Ryuga waiting for us in the living room, I rubbed my eyes in case I was dreaming, he's come early.

"Light, (Y/N), I've been meaning to talk to you two about something important for a while now,"Ryuga said. Mrs Yagami then left the room for our privacy. "I would appreciate it if you two would join me on this investigation,"he continued. Light tried his best to hide his smile, he had guessed right. "Of course we'll help you Ryuga, I'd love to catch Kira and bring him to justice,"Light lied. I nodded along with this and said,"Yes, me too." Ryuga stared at us both for a while before saying,"Great, would you two kindly join me at work tomorrow then? I'll give you the address so we can meet." With that, he left the house.

We now know where he stays and we'll have to work harder at playing innocent now, I had no clue how long this would last though. For the rest of the day Light spent his time searching for a perfect candidate as the next Kira. He was trying to find someone who was a supporter, and who had the same sense for justice as him. He wanted someone smart but not too smart to try trick him. Someone loyal.

Light eventually found someone suitable for the job, Teru Mikami. We've never met this guy before but we know he supports and is devoted to Kira. Light then planned to deliver him the notebook along with some instructions on how to use it and how to make the eye deal. He was referring to himself as 'God' when he wrote all of this, he knew Mikami would gladly accept since he thought of Kira as his God.

I watched as Light tucked the letter inside an envelope. "So...when will you make this guy kill L?"I asked him. He paused for a moment and then answered,"Not straight away. It will seem too suspicious that he'd die once we've joined the task force." I nodded in agreement, we just had to be patient.

When night came Light was still sitting at his desk, he was trying to get as much writing done as possible, it will be his last time using the notebook before we have to go join L. I asked Light several times to come to bed but he said nothing, he was determined to keep writing. It was difficult trying to sleep without him, I was now used to cuddling before sleep.