Chapter 48 - A New Start

Your P.O.V

He really meant it when he said he wanted to move out. Exactly a week later he gave me the news that he's found a small place where we can stay together. His parents are fine and supportive with this but I haven't told my parents anything yet. Before we got a start on packing, Light suggested it was time we talked to them.

I was fidgeting the whole walk to my old house, I don't know how to tell them everything. Light didn't lose confidence though and squeezed my hand for reassurance. My mum answered the door with a smile on her face as usual. "(Y/N)!"she said cheerfully, pulling me into a hug. "H-Hi mum,"I stuttered, hugging her back. Before she could start a long chat on what's new I stopped her and sat her down on the sofa,"Mum I have something to tell you." She blinked and made a small 'hm?' noise to that, I've never wanted to have a serious conversation. I looked behind me before turning back to her. "Dad's not here, is he?"I said sadly. Mum shook her head making me sigh, he must be at work. We can't wait for him all day. "Mum, I..."I started. I couldn't find my voice then.

Light held my hand again and offered to say it for me but I shook my head, I need to tell her. "Mum, I'm.....I'm pregnant,"I said, looking down. Mum blinked at my words and stared at me with wide eyes, dumbfounded. "You are?"she whispered. I nodded to that while Light squeezed my hand again. Mum suddenly burst into tears, her hands in her face. "No don't cry,"I said shakily, but I started crying too. Mum shook her head and pulled me into another hug. "I'm sorry, I-I just didn't think you'd grow up so fast,"mum sniffed. "I'm happy for you of course - un-unless it was a mistake." She looked over at Light with a scared look on her face. Light raised his hands and said,"Oh no, no it was all planned. Don't worry about it Mrs (Y/L/N), I've rented out our own place and we have steady money." She sniffed some more and hugged him too. "You two better be fine otherwise you come straight to me for help, alright?"she said. I hugged her tighter from that, she's the best mum I could ever have.

When we all finally broke the hug she wiped her eyes,"Don't worry about your father, I'll explain things for you." I nodded gratefully to that. Ryuk was just watching all of this in silence, he didn't laugh but he seemed entertained anyway. After mum had stopped crying she gave me some boxes to start packing my own things. Light followed me upstairs to help, he picked off every poster from my wall and rolled them up carefully, folded all my clothes neatly, then collected the small things like a few toys and a hairbrush. It took at least an hour and a half before we were done, the only thing left was a bare desk, an empty wardrobe and a plain bed. I carried one box while Light carried three, insisting he can handle it. As we were struggling down the stairs mum laughed a little shakily and said,"I'll give you two a ride home, you can't carry everything there." We stacked the boxes in the car boot and retrieved the other ones from upstairs.

Mum had a little talk with Light's parents for the first time, they got on well so I wasn't worried. Even though we were packing for hours Light didn't want to stop, he got straight to work on his bedroom. I was already tired by this point, my hands were aching and my legs couldn't seem to move anymore. Light noticed this and sat me down on his bed,"You can rest if you need to (Y/N)." I smiled gratefully and he smiled back.

Light had packed most of his room by evening time, I was astonished from how much he works. Well, it makes sense why he was a success in school, he puts as much effort into things as possible and doesn't give up easily. I then thought about college, we'll have to start that soon. L already made us miss out on school, but I know Light will be fine, he's too smart.

He already stripped the bed and packed away the covers so we slept on the sofa for the night with the TV on, cuddling under a blanket. Sayu insisted on staying up, wanting to watch something past her bedtime, she sat on the sofa beside us to watch TV but grew tired fast. I dozed off nearly immediately too, squashed up to Light's chest.

                              *  *  *
We got up early even though I still felt exhausted, I had to rub my eyes every few seconds. We returned upstairs to finish packing Light's room, he had to secretly place the notebook in another textbook, remembering which box he had put it in. We were done by eleven o'clock, we leaned back on the sofa again to have a break and some food to keep us going.

A moving truck had arrived at quarter past twelve, I watched as his room became completely empty, a ghost room. Ryuk grew tired of this and asked for apples the whole time, I had to sneak into the kitchen several times to feed him. Light's family insisted to help us and drove us to the new house, it wasn't far and looked very cosy. It had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a small kitchen and living room, and a basement. I found that when the moving truck opened, there were furniture there, perfect white sofas, a small dining table with chairs and a tiny TV, not Light's possessions. Our parents payed for it, I smiled, they're so generous. Sayu even volunteered to help us, Light didn't let me carry the heavy stuff, my arm felt like it would break at any minute but I still insisted to help.

It took all day, we were finally done by the late evening. Light invited them to stay to eat but Mr Yagami had to go to work and Sayu was sleepy now, we waved goodbye to them by the doorstep. It felt weird as Light closed the front door, I truly lived with him now, we have our own home. Light smiled at me and took my hand, leading me to our new bedroom. There were only two boxes left, the one filled with his textbooks and stationery stuff. He unpacked them and took his time before climbing into bed with me, wrapping an arm round my shoulder. I leaned against him while he closed his eyes, looking content and peaceful.

His eyes opened when my pocket buzzed, I had a message from Claire. I took it out excitedly to reply and explain the big news, so much has happened within a few months. Light stared at the screen, a different look in his eye. When he realised I was looking at him he smiled and got under the covers for sleep.