Chapter 39 - The Decision

Your P.O.V

I listened hard for a few minutes to hear if Matsuda or Ryuzaki would be returning, but to my luck they left me alone. I looked over at Ryuk but tried to make it seem like I was staring into space, I know the cameras are still on me. I stared him straight in the eye and then swivelled my eyes to the bathroom door, Ryuk noticed I wanted something. "Heh?"he asked in confusion. I glanced over at the bathroom door again before heading towards it, hopefully he got the hint.

As I locked myself in the bathroom I waited for a moment and sighed in relief as he followed me in. "I need you to do me a favour,"I said to the shinigami. Ryuk licked his lips a little. "Yes I'll give you apples." Ryuk smiled when I said that, it was obvious he was missing them dreadfully. "So what is it?"he asked. I spoke in a whisper,"I need you to go to Light and tell him a message from me, tell him that I won't be executed so he doesn't need to confess."

Ryuk nodded a bit excitedly from the thought of apples and turned on his heel, I quickly stopped him. "No! Not yet,"I hissed. I covered my mouth a little from how loud I sounded then. Ryuk stopped to face me again, looking a little puzzled. I waited for a moment to hear if anyone was coming or outside the door but I was safe. "Only tell him when I give you the signal,"I said. I then thought of an action I could do secretly to make him realise it's time. "If you ever see me tilt my head to the left and fold my arms, don't think it's for anything else, you must go tell him straight away." Ryuk made an 'oh' sound and nodded.

I flushed the toilet to make it seem I needed to go for anyone who was close enough to hear then pretended to wash my hands. When I left the room to return to my bed, I read for a bit while Ryuk remained in the same room as me, waiting for the signal which I could give at anytime. I decided not to tell Light yet, part of me wanted to know what he'd do. I know he's a selfish person, if he's not obsessing over me he's always focused on himself. I know he's set on his goal on making a new world, would he choose that over me? I've seen his dark side, I know he can be truly evil at times, but at the same time, he did everything he could for me.

I'm not going to let him confess to Ryuzaki, I just want to see any signs of him about to do that. If it seems like he's going to admit who he really is then I'll send Ryuk straight away. I just want to know what he'd say.

                             *  *  *
I found it hard to swallow my breakfast. It's been three days since Ryuzaki stated that I'll be executed, today's the day Light will make up his mind. Part of me didn't want to know now, it'll just ruin our relationship forever if he chooses himself over me. But, curiosity is getting the better of me, I want to know.

I followed Matsuda to the room where Ryuzaki was at, he wanted to watch this too. We all took a seat in front of the monitor, my heart was starting to beat faster from the thought of his answer. "This is stupid,"Matsuda said. "How can you still believe Light is Kira? I think he's innocent." I nodded in agreement with Matsuda but felt bad all the same. He looks up to Light and his family, it's sad that he doesn't realise the ugly truth. I thought about Light's dad then, he asked Ryuzaki to be put in confinement too since he doesn't want his emotions to get the better of him. I wondered how he was coping right now. He must feel horrible that his son is being accused of Kira, and it's even sadder that he's oblivious to it being true.

Ryuzaki pressed down on the button to speak through the mic. "Light,"he said. Light sat up when he started talking. "It's time." Ryuzaki stared intently at the screen, awaiting his answer. I heard Ryuk chuckle from behind me, this is the kind of entertainment he's been wanting for a while now. My heart was thudding faster than ever as I watched closely too. Light had took a moment to answer, if he was going to deny being Kira he would have said so straight away. I felt my eyes widen when I realised what his answer was going to be, I braced myself. Light looked down before staring back at the camera, he swallowed. "L....I-I'm.." He was going to confess! I felt my eyes water and wanted to smile but then snapped out of it, I need to help him now. I hastily crossed my arms and tilted my head to the side, pretending to be interested in this now, it was sudden movement but Ryuzaki didn't seem to notice, he was focused on the screen. Ryuk got the hint and left straight away.

I saw Ryuk appear on the screen in a flash, getting there as soon as he possibly could. Light stopped since he was puzzled by Ryuk suddenly appearing. "Hey I have a message from (Y/N),"I heard Ryuk say. Light's mouth opened slightly from this. "She's not going to die, so don't confess." Light's eyes widened a little when he realised this truly was a test. He cleared his throat again while looking into the camera making Ryuzaki lean in with suspense. "I'm not Kira,"Light said, still sounding sad to go along with it. "So, please, don't kill (Y/N). I love her so much, don't take away someone so special to me. How would you live with yourself knowing that you've killed an innocent person?" Light shakily stood up then. "You started this investigation to bring true justice, this is not the way to do it and you know that."

Matsuda and I smiled from his words, my heart still pounding a little from how close that was. Ryuzaki looked down, he's done enough now. He turned to face me,"I can see how much he loves you, I suppose he would have confessed to save your life." Light made a 'huh?' sound, Ryuzaki was still pressing on the button so he could hear us. "So you'll let him go?"I asked excitedly. Ryuzaki nodded in defeat. I saw Light's face smile when he heard me. "(Y/N)! Y-You can see me?"Light asked. Ryuzaki sighed a little and handed me the mic. "Yes I can, Light, he's letting you go!"I told him happily, I already felt tears seep down my cheeks, we can finally see each other again in person.