Chapter 62 - Split Personality

Light's P.O.V

I woke up to (Y/N)'s small whimpering, I realised I was squeezing her too tight in my sleep. I slowly let her go and sat up in bed, but she didn't sit up with me and stayed lying down in a ball, her eyes closed in fear. I got a little worried when I saw all the bruises up her arms again, but tried to remain calm about the whole thing. I got out of bed and tucked her in before heading to the bathroom. I searched the bathroom cabinets for the medication I gave her last time, I found the Arnica cream hidden behind some soaps and shower gel. I took the tube and returned to our bedroom then climbed into bed.

She was still pretending to be asleep. "(Y/N), can you sit up please,"I asked as nicely as I could. She flinched from the sound of my voice but slowly pushed the blanket away a little and sat up against the pillows. She frowned slightly when she found the cream in my hand. I shuffled closer to her and held her wrist, stretching her arm out and bringing it nearer to me. I smoothed the lotion onto her skin and she winced several times, when I rubbed it on a big bruise she retracted her hand from the pain. I found I automatically slapped her arm hard when she moved away, completely forgetting that I'm supposed to make it feel better. I knew what she did was just a reflex, she didn't deserve a smack. I regretted slapping her but couldn't bring myself to apologise and just focused on tending to the bruises.

When I was done I put the lid back on the tube and smiled at (Y/N), but she didn't smile back. I was then concerned about her mental state, she often has night terrors now, screaming and thrashing in the middle of the night. She's recently been wetting the bed too, she'd sob guiltily every time that happened. She shakes so frequently now and always looks scared when I see her. I didn't want her to be afraid of me, I'm supposed to protect her. Somewhere in the back of my mind was telling me that it's just my fault, I've been too harsh on her and a horrible boyfriend. Deep down I knew this was true but I completely blocked out the thought, I'll just make (Y/N) love me again.

Your P.O.V

I was ready to slide back down under the covers but Light stopped me by holding my wrist. He smiled at me and said,"Would you like to go outside today?" I stared at him blankly for a while, doubting his words. Is he really letting me outside? I wasn't even sure I wanted to go out anymore, I think I'd rather have my daily nap. But, Light didn't wait for my answer and lifted me out of bed then carried me downstairs, holding me against his hip.

When he asked that question he really meant: would you like to sit in the garden? Because he carried me to the back door and stepped outside, of course he wasn't going to let me into town. I automatically buried my face into his shoulder, Light smiled at this, thinking I was scared, but I only did it because the sun hurt my eyes. The slight breeze against my skin and the fresh air felt good, but I was feeling a little fearful for some reason.

It was like Light had brainwashed me to believe that it's true, that I'm too weak for this world. In the back of my mind I knew this wasn't really true, there's no real danger. But even so, part of me is starting to believe it, I feel so small. I can't handle his 'discipline' so how can I handle anything else? I wasn't warming up to Light and agreeing with him, I didn't know what I was doing anymore.

Light sat us down on the garden bench while I shivered the whole time. "(Y/N) you're shaking, do you want to go back inside?"Light asked, observing me. I shook my head no but was still holding my arms, I didn't feel cold, it's just a thing that happens now. "I'm not cold,"I said quietly. He didn't seem to believe me so he whipped off his jacket and tried placing it over my shoulders. I stared straight ahead of me sadly and slowly shrugged it off my shoulders. "I'm not cold,"I repeated in a whisper. Light slammed his hand down on the bench and snapped,"Just accept it!" His sudden temper made me jump so I quickly placed the jacket back over me and looked down, biting my lip. Light had an instant look of regret on his face, it looked like he wanted to apologise but he didn't. His hand hovered a little, he was hesitant to stroke my hair. After a moment he just stood up and said,"I'll make breakfast, we can eat outside today." I watched him return indoors in silence.

I glanced around our garden sadly, staring at the flowers and grass that have grown over time. I then looked up at the fence, it was pretty high and looked a little hard to climb. I considered climbing over it to run away, but then what? Where would I run to exactly? I know Light will just kill my family if I did that, so that'll just be a real dumb move. I physically couldn't anyway, especially with me being pregnant, I couldn't risk it. I felt quite weak though, I can barely stand anymore since I never leave my room unless I needed the toilet. That wasn't nearly enough exercise but Light didn't seem to care, he loves it when I'm unable to fight back. I shivered.

I sat in the sun and waited for Light to come back, when he did return he had two trays in his hands for us. He sat close to me as we both ate our food in silence, I only nibbled the corner of my toast and had a sip of the lemonade. There were strawberries and square blocks of jelly in one bowl, they looked tempting to eat but I still couldn't finish everything. Light gently patted my back and tried to smile. "I'm proud of you for trying,"he said softly. I wanted to scoff at that since he smacked me for trying the other day.

We stayed sitting in the garden in pure silence for a long while, Light tried to make conversation several times but I just stared into space sadly. It wasn't until he started rubbing my belly I snapped out of my daze. "I was thinking of designing the baby's room now, but I don't want to start anything since we don't know its gender yet,"Light said. I simply made a small 'hm' noise to that and barely nodded. He smiled at me. "Just think, in a few years we'll move into a bigger house for the rest of our children." A chill went down my spine and I slowly turned to look at him. "What?"I whispered. Light gripped the seat of the bench a little but kept his smile. "You're supposed to say 'pardon' like a little lady,"he corrected me. I turned to look at the ground again when he said that. "And I said, we'll move into a bigger house for the rest of our children, there's not enough room here,"Light repeated. I shivered a little again. Light took my hand and whispered,"You'd love to be a mother of plenty, wouldn't you?" I wanted to shake my hand away but instead I meekly shook my head no. Light squeezed my hand a little. "Yes you do,"he said through gritted teeth. "We'll make a big family so they can carry on my name and be successful too." I wanted to roll my eyes at his words but instead I just moved my hand away from his and hunched my knees up to my chest.

Light then suddenly exploded when I changed my sitting position. "Stop sitting LIKE THAT!"he shouted at me. I jumped violently and quickly sat down properly again, feeling scared and astonished. He was speaking calmly just a second ago, his mood changes really fast. Light's furious face calmed within ten seconds, his clenched fists loosened up and his eyes showed regret and sadness.

Light's P.O.V

I wanted to say something but instead I just reached out to grab her and pulled her to me for an embrace, she didn't hug me back like I wanted though. As I stroked her hair I stared down at the grass with wide eyes, I hated hearing my own voice shout, I truly didn't mean it. What am I doing?