XXIV | His Little Girl

A pair of hands rest themselves upon either sides of me from behind. “I'll take you home.” I hear Zen’s voice and honestly, I'm glad I didn't have to ask. After seeing my father tonight, I don't think a bus ride alone is such a great idea for me.

I can't trust myself with my thoughts when I'm upset, so his offer is a welcomed one.

“Zen?” Yoosung calls out and I turn to see what's wrong. Yoosung nervously rubs his arm. “How am I going to get home.”

“I'll take you, Yoosung. I don't see a better opportunity to talk about your job prospects at the company.”

Job prospects? At this hour?

“My bike's just over there.”

Waving goodbye to everyone, I follow Zen. “Here's one for you.” He says, handing me the spare helmet, while he climbs on and starts the engine.

“Get on.”

And I do, but-

“You do know how to drive this thing, right?”

“Just hold on tight.”

“To what?” Okay, I admit it, I'm purposely playing naive. Of course he's referring to himself.

“Me.” He glances over his shoulder, with a smirk.

“So that's it, huh?” I wrap my arms around him. “If you wanted a hug, you should of just asked.”

He lets out a soft chuckle. “Ready?”

“Yup.”

The engine starts and before I know it, we're zooming through the streets, my hair whipping in the wind.

The night is already so cold, but now it's freezing. I tighten my grip around Zen, hugging him closer, until my head is resting on his back.

I feel him stiff up a bit, “Doing okay back there?”

“It's freezing, Zen.”

Admittedly, the breeze splashing against my skin didn't feel that bad, it's the fact that I'm wearing a dress that makes this more chilling.

Yeah, didn't really think this one through.

“Get closer. I'll protect you from the nasty cold.”

“Dork.”

“But seriously, if you're feeling cold you can hold onto me tighter.”

How much ‘tighter’ does he want me to hug him?

“Uh, Zen?” I wait for like a minute before calling his name out again, a little louder this time. Something just occurred to me and now seems like the perfect time. “Zen.”

“Yeah?”

“Can we stop somewhere before we drop me off?”

“Sure.” Why was I expecting him to decline? “Where to, m'lady?”

~°~

We drove deeper into the night, for a good thirty minutes or so, before, just over the horizon, standing tall amongst the smoky grey clouds,  the Thirty-seven floor building comes into clear view.

This was probably asking a lot from Zen. All he ever is, is caring and considerate. He has his own life to worry about and here I am dragging him into my mess.

But he can be stubborn. He refused to let me take a taxi. Not like I need his permission, but out of courtesy I listened. I listened because he cares and if I learned anything in my life is value and acknowledge the people who bother to care about you. Because you can find that very few actually do.