XXV | The Way the Cookie Crumbles

With a soft creak Zen slowly pushes the door open. The apartment is dark, it takes my eyes a few seconds to adjust. Vague silhouettes of things I know start to form and I get an idea of where everything is which helps avoid unnecessary bumping into stuff. Zen wasn't so familiar. He bumped into everything. “Min, could you turn on the flashlight on your cell phone, maybe, please.” his voice only a whisper, a little agitated whisper, so low that I have to guess what he's saying.

I do just that and reach into my purse. Got it. “shoot!” I say under my breath. I had it. How did it just slip?

“What happened?Are you okay?” I hear Zen say as I pat the floor, squinting, doing everything I can to find my phone without making any more noise. In the meantime, Zen turns his own screen light on.

My hand reaches under a cabinet. Here it is. Almost-

“I found it.” My voice sounds a little shaky, but I manage to keep it down.

Zen stretches out a hand for me to take. In the dimmed light of his phone I notice him scanning the room. I grab onto his hand, almost tripping over my own two feet getting up. “Minette, you're trembling.” I know. I don't want to accept it, but I am. This whole thing is making me nervous, scared, worried. I don't want to go through this again. I've had enough. Whoever is doing this. I have had enough. “Everything's going to be fine.” You don't know that. He squeezes my hand gently and carefully takes me with him. “Just stay close.”

We sneak further in. It's like being in a haunted house waiting for the scary to begin.

“Is there anything around we can use as a weapon?”

“I have a stun gun, brass knuckles and a taser.”

“Okay~ where are they?”

“ Here in my purse.”

He chooses the brass knuckles and I take out my stun gun. I do have a gun with rubber bullets in my luggage. however, that's in case of an emergency. Does this qualify as an emergency?

“Should we split up?”  I ask feeling a bit braver.

“No. Why don't you call Celest? Isn't she supposed to be home right now?” Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh. She was supposed to be working late today, then where is she?

“You're right.”

I dial her number and it rings.

And rings, rings and rings.

This can't be happening again.

“I'm turning on the lights.” I hate the suspense. Wait for some criminal to just come out of nowhere. Waiting to see what happens. Waiting to see if there is an intruder or not.

“Wait. Do you hear that?” Zen don't do this to me.

We’re getting close to Celest's room and there's a sound coming from inside. “Maybe she just forgot to lock the door.” I say. Finally turning on some lights.

“Yeah, you're probably right.”

When I'm sure that the ringtone is hers and it is in fact coming from her bedroom. I switch off my phone.

Thank God. I let out a sigh of relief.

I’m about to lead us to my room, but something catches my eye. A small light peeking from the room where Celest works her cyber magic, hacking into high end security systems for questionable characters. Honestly, not as glamorous as ‘Agent 707’ makes it out to be in the game.

“Can you believe it? Celest's been working all this time and we're here standing in cold sweat from the door being unlocked.”

“She always works this late?”