3. overthinking

"Overthinking will ruin you. Ruin the situation, turn things around, make you worry, and just make things worse than they actually are.

Don't do it"

- anonymous 

3. overthinking

"I woke up like disssssssssss"

It was one thing for a girl to have an alarm clock that blared that song, but it was another thing to wake up and through bleary eyes watch my Grandfather jamming to it.

For an old man, he sure was gettin' it.

With sassy hand movements, and narrowed eyes, he turned around and moonwalked into my room. I laughed as he whirled around to face me.

"Good morning to you too."

He said, with a cheery smile. I smiled back at him, and even though I had been hurting from last night, I managed to hide it.

He sat on the edge of my bed and just looked at me, any other person would have been freaked out, but he was my Grandpa, and I was used to his odd ways.

"Each and every day, I see your mother in you more and more." His smile slowly faded away as he took in my expression. My lower lip quivered, and I tried my best to upturn my lips into a smile, but before I knew it.. I had burst into tears.

"Felicity, sweet child."

He let out a sigh as he pulled me into a hug. Grandpa's sweater was itchy but he smelled like Old Spice and old people, and that familiar smell was enough to halt my tears.

"Feel better?" He asked, with a slight smile on his wrinkled face.

I nodded grimly.

"You sound like a walrus when you cry" was his response to my nod. I narrowed my eyes at him, but my look quickly vanished when I saw the flicker of good humor in his eyes.

"Yeah well, I get it from my G-Pa. Now go take your medicine, old man" He rolled his eyes at me, obviously going back to his sassy Beyonce mode.

I gave him a push to aid him in getting off my bed, even though he hated getting help. Usually, I just slightly pushed so he wouldn't notice it was me helping it.

We had an inside joke, that it was a caretaker angel giving him back pushes, which somehow lightened the mood.

As he slowly eased out of the room, I prepared to get up since it was like 7am, and my brother usually left at 7:40am.

Right before he closed my bedroom door Grandpa said something to me.

"It's okay to cry. It's okay to be hurt. Just don't let it consume your happiness. Your parents named you Felicity for a reason...because they wanted you to always be happy."

With a sad smile, I watched the door click shut- and then I broke down into tears again.

Lunchtime again, and I was sat alone.

Today the special was curly fries, and ham sandwiches, so instead of focusing on my pitifully lone existence, I munched happily on my meal.

I was so concentrated on my batch of curly fries that when a figure sat next to me on the bench I barely acknowledged them until they spoke.

"What I said yesterday was wrong, I'm pretty sure there's at least one idiot who wants to be your friend."

The curly fry I had been about to gulp down suddenly got stuck in my throat and I choked.

Anthony Locking had approached me, Anthony Locking was sitting at my table and he had just apologized to me but also insulted me in an odd way.

"So you're saying that anyone who wants to be friends with me would be an idiot?" I spoke quitely, after struggling for a few minutes with the curly fry down my throat.

"I'm saying that I'm an idiot." His deep voice rumbled.

and with that, Anthony Locking flicked my forehead, got up, and walked away...just like yesterday

Only today,

I was left with a wide grin that nearly split my cheeks.

Let's just say, I was in the best mood all day. Some people asked me if Anthony had threatened me or anything, but I simply looked at them with the brightest smile I could form.

But then, as always, my own thoughts led to the destruction of my happiness.

What if he just asked me out of pity?

I had heard the rumors of Anthony, what if he just saw me as some form of entertainment and wanted to laugh at my giddy expression the whole day?

What if while I was ecstatic over him wanting to be friends, he was mentally figuring out ways to humiliate me?

What if this broke me even more?

I couldn't afford to fall into his trap. I had to do something about it.

So before I could stop myself, I was marching towards Anthony in the near empty hallway.

A feeling of deja vü swamped over me, but I ignored it.

Anthony didn't turn to face me, as he gazed into his locker, even though I knew he knew that I was there. I was fine with that though, this conversation would be a lot easier without some form of eye contact.

My hands were shaky enough as it was, as I stared at his broad back.

His figure was completely relaxed, almost as if he knew exactly what I was there for.

"I-I know what you're up to. Y-you're trying to trick me. You don't really want to be my friend-" I was embarrassed to find that my voice was becoming thick with emotion.

"I don't n-need a pity friend, or a joke to be played on me. I'm s-sorry for bothering you in the first place."

He never once turned around as I spoke, and I didn't want him to, because I knew there would be a mocking grin on his face.

Taking the chance, I skittered away from him and as I rounded the corner I couldn't stop the tears that coursed down my cheeks.

"I'm a freaking idiot." I breathed, pressing my face into my hands.

As I cried silently into my hands, hoping to muffle my embarrassing sobs, a warm hand closed over mine.

It was clearly a guy's hand, and it was surprisingly soft but not femininely so. I blushed with extreme embarrassment as Anthony's unique eyes clashed with mine.

His hood was down once more, but he quickly pulled it forward once he realized I was staring at him with awe.

" I don't have time for jokes or pity niña, be my friend or don't, your choice."

He swiped his hand over my face roughly, clearing it of tears, and then he disappeared into his classroom, right as the late bell rang.

and for once, my thoughts couldn't take away the smile his words had caused.