13. memories pt. 2

This one goes out to my aunt.

Heaven couldn't wait for you.

 13. memories pt. 2 

Felicity's POV

"Oh God.."

My Grandfather dropped the phone, it clattered to the ground.

The worst had been confirmed.

Instantly my brother had swept me into his arms, I still remember he had smelled like heavy cologne. Always the one trying too hard- but at that time I hadn't cared at all.

The cologne choked me up even more as I realized that my parents were dead.

For days they had been in the hospital, struggling to live- and suddenly, one after the other- they both passed.

My grandfather had forced my brother and I to come home for the night and get some rest, but in the middle of the night- we were all awoken by numerous phone calls from the hospital.

It was as if they both knew when the right time was to go- but I couldn't breathe.

I couldn't think.

I couldn't feel.

I didn't register my brother rubbing my back with shaky hands, or my grandfather quietly sobbing, I thought I too would die.

I felt disconnected from the world.

My heart was breaking, my life as I knew it- was over.

"N-no!" I had yelled, right before I fainted.

•••

The funeral was packed.

Ladies from my church, people my father knew, but mostly- family.

I held myself together throughout the entire time- well, I would've- if one of my aunts didn't get up to speak.

Her name was Georgia. I remember her words clear as day.

"I have a message for the children."

She had looked at Klaus and I.

"Your parents are spirits now."

"They are in the wind when it blows, they're the sun when it shines, they are still here. So when you feel a sharp breeze, look at it as them telling you 'don't do that' and when the sun shines-"

She smiled at us.

"Look at it as if they're saying they're proud of you-"

Suddenly everything was too much, the heat in the church. The women gossiping behind me, my grandfather's silent tears, the memorial pictures and the caskets.

My parents had felt like dolls when I leaned down to kiss them goodbye. Like cold...lifeless dolls.

Like they weren't even real.

As Georgia walked back to her seat, I couldn't contain the raw sob that tore from my throat and broke the silence.

I'd never forget how for one of the many times my brother grabbed me and held me as I cried. Despite his own pain, he comforted me. I felt half-alive, the only thing keeping me going was the comfort my brother gave.

"I love you sis. They're fine now, they're alright. They made it to heaven-"

I choked on a sob, fighting to get my words out

"But I need them he-he-here"

"I know Felicit-"

He couldn't even finish speaking, we both needed them.

I wished the wind could speak..

-----------------------------------

At my aunt's funeral, a friend of the family got up to speak about my aunt and said those words that Georgia said to my aunt's kids.

It was heartbreaking..

R.I.P. Aunt Cher ❤️
You are missed so much.