15. "my vibe is immortal"

I sipped my large iced tea contentedly.

"Happy now?"

Anthony looked at me with a half-amused smile and I continued slurping on the tea.

He maneuvered the steering wheel with ease, forking salad into his mouth simultaneously. His driving was at a much higher level of skill than mine, we were practically gliding down the road.

"How'd you learn to drive like this?"

Anthony shrugged, pulling into the parking lot of the school.

"My dad."

Of course he didn't even bother to elaborate

"Was he into mechanics or something?"

His plump lips curved into a smirk

"Something like that."

I bit down on the straw, aggravation was in that bite. I bit the shit out of that straw- and then I spoke.

"Why are you always so vague?"

He didn't answer, instead he pulled into the school parking lot neatly.

"Answer me."

I reached over to pinch his arm, to which he batted my hand away.

"Why are you always so fucking curious?"

His voice was thick with malice, clearly I was irritating him- but I didn't exactly give a crap. It had been nearly a month since we'd became 'friends' and our friendship had barely progressed. I knew nothing about his home life, nothing about his job, his family, just...nothing.

All I knew was that he had lost his innocence, whatever the hell that meant. I wanted to be sympathetic and patient, but I mean c'mon- he wouldn't even tell me the littlest things.

And let's be honest, I'm a nosy motherf*cker.

"I'm your friend, I just want to know more about you."

He pulled his hood up securely over his head. "Well here's a tip, as my friend- accept that some things I don't want to fucking talk about."

He popped open the car door, and got out in one swift movement, and of course I decided to drop the conversation. It was hard to confront him about things when he was towering over me like that

His height was both intimidating and...okay geez, it was sexy.

"Whatever" I mumbled, hopping out of the car and scurrying away.

As I neared the doors to the school, he called after me.

"Aye, shortie!"

I turned back around, zeroing in on his form.

I could see his lips from the spot I was at, he was half-smiling.

"Ride home with me today?"

A broad grin appeared on my face and I nodded cheerily. I guess this was his way of making up for not telling me things, and even though I wished he trusted me at least a little more, a ride home was enough of an apology for now.

•••

"Hold my backpack please."

I dumped my backpack into Anthony's arms, taking off ahead of him.

"Get back here you little munchkin."

I whirled around, glaring at him half-playful, half-serious. "I'm not a munchkin, in fact, I'm not even short. I'm 5'6" and 1/2, 5'7" on good days."