37. finger lickin' good

2 weeks is a long time

Fourteen days without a hint of contact from Anthony.

I tried calling him multiple times, but he never picked up. My initial thought was that he was caught up in the racing life, and I desperately prayed that he wasn't in any immediate danger.

It was around the end of the second week that I decided to go and visit Anthony. Despite him not answering my calls, I at least wanted the assurance that he was okay.

It was when I was halfway to the front door of his house that overthinking struck me.

Anthony left right after I told him about Melvis...Anthony is grossed out by me...Anthony thinks I'm disgusting and vile so he's avoiding me.

It all made sense.

He spouts some bullshit about self-blame and then uses the call as an excuse to book it.

I almost wanted to laugh at my own stupidity.

Of course he'd want nothing to do with me after I told him the full story. Everyone always seems so open and sincere just to get the truth out of you, but the moment you spill it...

They run just like all of the rest.

I didn't quite blame Anthony, after all-- I was practically the scum of the school. Few people wanted to be associated with me

Because of what?

Melvis, and a twisted rumor that somehow ruined my entire reputation.

I would only bring someone like Anthony down to my level the longer we remained friends.

I had to leave.

Without looking back, I made my way back down the driveway-- but I stopped in my tracks when Anthony's car pulled up to the curb and out hopped Graciela.

She ran over to me, hugging me with all of her might. "You never come around anymore." She whined slightly.

I was trying my hardest not to show how uncomfortable I was now that I knew Anthony was just as grossed out with me as everyone else-- so I fondly rubbed Graciela's head.

Honestly I have a bad habit of petting the heads of those shorter than me.

Wonder who that comes from?

Anthony cleared his throat, interrupting my special moment with Graciela and I fought the urge to roll my eyes as Graciela released me and ran into the house.

"My turn." Anthony murmured, simultaneously pulling me into a hug.

I resisted at first but in just a few seconds my sturdy exterior...crumbled.

I didn't want to cry, I really really didn't want to. Have you ever just gotten so exhausted with crying?

Your throat closes up and it suddenly gets hotter, and you wish with all your might that you could prevent the tears from falling

But they end up falling anyway

I tried my hardest not to make it noticeable to Anthony, but it was no use.

"What's up? Tell me what's wrong." He started doing that soothing circle thing and I fought the urge to cling to him and beg him to continue being my friend.

It didn't even matter if he never saw me as more than that, I'd gladly be his friend for forever than to completely lose him.

I couldn't exactly get my words out, you know when you get all choked up and your words are all garbled. It was embarrassing, and yet it wasn't at the same time. I felt comfortable enough to full-out cry in front of Anthony, he had even cleaned up my puke before...It couldn't get much more intimate than that.