33. a blackbird sings

Their fists were flying at each other rapidly, and there was no way I was getting in the middle of that.

You know those girls who get in the middle of the fight and end up getting socked in the eye and then cry about it like

'Omg why did you hit me?'

'How could you?'

'You abusive asshole!'

Nope, wouldn't be me. I could see it now, I'd hop in front of Anthony and Nikolas would rear his fist back and crunch I'd have a broken nose.

Besides, Anthony was handling himself just fine.

I looked around at the crowd's reaction to the fists being thrown and watched as a whole row of girls bounced up and down with their wobbly bits on display, bouncing with them.

Wow, he even had his own Melon Club

In the time that I looked away from the fight, a roar went up from the crowd and I whipped around to see what all of the commotion was about.

Anthony was walking away...in my direction.

Bloodied fists and a nose dripping with blood, you couldn't exactly blame me for being a tiny bit fearful. His anger however didn't seem to be directed at me, but the hostility rolling off of him wasn't something I entirely wanted to be around

Since when did what I want matter though?

Anthony grabbed me by the meat of my arm and dragged me to his car, before going around to his side at the driver's seat.

"Get in."

"Why were you fighting him?" I said, completely ignoring his order.

His eyes were like icicles stabbing me, chilly- the coldest I'd seen them yet.

"He wasn't supposed to bring you here."

I pursed my lips, thinking for a moment. "You're right, he wasn't supposed to. You should have. Do you think I'd run to the police the first chance I got to tell them that you race illegally? I thought you knew me better than that."

The man who announced the arrival of Roar was now clearing his throat, beckoning for us to get into the car.

"It's not that, I just didn't want you here."

I glared even harder, gritting my teeth to keep from reaching across the car and punching him myself. Why was I even so upset? I assume it was because my romantic feelings got in the way, I wanted to be someone he could confide in- and the fact that I had no clue about his job made me feel like he didn't trust me one bit.

"Why don't you want me here?"

For a moment, he just stared, his pink lips sat in a straight line. His eyes were narrowed, and yet I had no time to dwell on his beauty this time around. I felt betrayed, even though I knew I was overreacting, I couldn't stop the evil glare that I was giving him. My eyes literally would be stuck this way unless he gave a reasonable explanation.

"Because you're a nuisance."

It was exactly what I didn't want to hear.

I tried going over his words a second time, thinking maybe he had mistakenly said nuisance, maybe he was just speaking out of anger

But he had no reason to be upset with me

I remembered the time I shook off his words and sat on the bleachers with him, watching him cry out of the corner of my eye.