39. the breakdown

39. the breakdown

I had never been that drunk in my life.

There was this one time I had a couple shots of Remy Martin that Klaus was keeping in the cupboard high above the refrigerator. Needless to say, I got a little buzz and started walking around shouting 'I'm drunk' only to find out that I was just tipsy.

Hence why I was still adamant on the fact that I wasn't drunk even though last night- I had been drunk.

I sat in bed for the longest time, going over my thoughts trying to remember them-- and then finally I had all of the pieces gathered.

I remember bumping lips with some guy with dreads, and then I was pulled outside- and then...the conversation with Anthony.

Some of the words were vague, all I knew was that during one of the most important moments of my life- I got drunk.

To think that I was so close to receiving a confession or maybe- I misinterpreted it all. Maybe he was just going to say something to belittle me, I was after all- a niña to him.

Then again, my drunkenness was probably fucking with me. I could very well have imagined that whole scene because I wanted it to occur so badly.

Possibilities

This was why I hated my brain sometimes. The overthinking was just capable of turning any good situation into a negative.

Sighing deeply, I rolled over to my side and came face to face with a box, halting all thoughts.

A box that looked like it was meant to hold a ring.

My eyes widened for a moment, and I stared at it expectantly as if it would open itself. After a few minutes of observing the little jewelry box, I opened it.

The moment I opened the box a little white card fell out and I picked it up- reading the scribbled writing on the front.

To the girl who always buys me lunch ;)

A promise of friends forever.

- "Ant"

Inside of the box, was a ring. The band was silver, and planted right in the center was a circle-cut emerald stone. It was plain and beautiful at the same time, not to mention I loved the color green and maybe somehow-

He remembered that.

I wasn't even thinking about being friendzoned, assuming that this was my birthday gift- it would be ungrateful to undermine it just because he said we'd be friends forever.

It was a beautiful ring, and a thoughtful gesture.

I reached for my phone and sent him a huge thank you with a bunch of yellow heart emojis- because friends don't send each other red hearts.

It was a bitter thought, and I quickly stopped myself from thinking any further.

He responded with a red heart.

It was strange. Even as we continued texting, there was some unspoken barrier between us. The night before I had nearly blurted my feelings to him before he cut me off and almost told me his.

Not to mention that even after I drunkenly kissed someone to make him jealous, he drove me home and put me to bed.

Once again, I didn't get to think about any of that because within seconds my door was thrust open and in walked Ansley wearing nothing but...