8

Serendipity (n.) finding something good without looking for it

''''

All of their faces disappeared, terrified of the only face I see now.

I looked up and saw Jin.

I buried my head in my knees again.

"I'm sorry."

"No no no no no." Jin sat down beside me. "Don't apologize."

He sat rigid, like he didn't know what to do.

"Can I give you a hug?" Jin whispered.

I looked up at Jin with teary eyes.

"Yes please." I leaned into him as he wrapped his arms around me.

A comforting hug? Someone who cared? Is this even real?

"Did something happen? Are you sick? Did one of us say something wrong?" Jin questioned gently, trying to get me to talk.

"No, it was a long time ago." I sniffed, denying his worry.

"But it still affects you." Jin rubbed my shoulder. "What happened?"

I stayed silent.

"Bubble Gum, it's not good to fight things alone. Trust me on this one. Please tell me what happened, I will help as much as I can." Jin sighed sadly.

"My mom and step dad are in jail." I began, looking up at Jin for a reaction.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." He apologized.

"No!" I raised my voice. "Don't be sorry. I put them in jail." I softened my voice.

Jin frowned, confused.

"My mother and step dad are horrible people. I was 12 when they forced me in their company." I spat, my sadness replaced with hatred. "They owned this sex club. Girls who were desperate for money went there. Perverts came just to please themselves." I paused. "They dragged me there. Said it was 'good for business.' They were just short on girls."

Jin glared at the floor, tears streaking his face.

"I was there, every night, pleasing some man!" I yelled, tears falling as well. "They kept me there for five years!" My voice broke, remembering every day of hell.

"I remember now." Jin spoke finally, his voice holding a tremendous sorrow.

"Remember what?"

"Your name. It was all over the news for weeks. The Kim Minjee Case." Jin looked at me. "You turned your parents into the police."

I nodded.

"Jiyoo, you don't know her, but she reported it first. But she had no proof to back up her statement. That is where I came in. She convinced me to turn my parents in. She said she would help me." I smiled softly. "And she did."

"But why..... ?" Jin questioned.

"It was the music." I said bluntly. "The music triggered my memories from the club. That fast paced stuff was all that was played there. It was just too many emotions and memories. I couldn't handle it."

"I'm so sorry." Jin hugged me tightly.

I didn't  have nothing to say. So I wiped away my tears one last time.

Jin and I sat there for a little bit, him holding me, and me trying to calm down.

"Do you have a blanket?" I asked, rubbing my goosebumps on my arms.