Chapter Five

"Edmund will give us the signal." Peter explained. At first, he had rejected the idea that Susan and I join the battle, but with some persuasion he only just agreed.

Since yesterday afternoon at the stream, Edmund and I hadn't said a word to each other. It felt embarrassing to even look at him. It was odd though, not talking to him. Him and I would always have long, hilarious conversations over breakfast, lunch and dinner and if we had to skip a meal we would find time for that 'skipped' conversation.

"What happened between you two?" Susan asked, while we were waiting.

I was conscious of Peter close-by, probably listening in. I shrugged and leant against a tree. "What do you mean?"

"Don't play stupid Lexi, something happened between you and Ed. You two have been sulking and stealing glances at each other for the last twenty hours. And you two haven't talked since yesterday afternoon."

Woah, Susan was really observant.

"We just ran out of topics to talk about..." I lied, not meeting her eyes.

Susan put her hands on her hips. "I won't press it any further, but you two should sort it out, you both need to sort it out, don't let things destroy your friendship."

"There!" Peter pointed to the castle, where Edmund's torch was flashing.

"Good luck." I encouraged as Peter, Susan and some others clambered onto Griffins. My job was to attack with the other creatures of Narnia, through the front gate, once Caspian opened it.

___

"FOR NARNIA! AND FOR ASLAN!" I yelled with Peter's army. I was riding on the back of the leader centaur, Glenstorm. We galloped towards the opening gate, and we were the first ones through.

I thanked him and dismounted quickly, pulling out my sword.

____

Left. Right. Down. Duck. Slice.

It was like a routine to winning against the opponent. It seemed like we were winning until Miraz ordered the archers to fire. Tens of arrows were shot down from the balconies.

"FALLBACK!" I heard Peter scream over the noise.

I wasn't in the position to retreat. I was fighting two soldiers at once and another was approaching from my left. Centaurs and other Narnians were running towards the gate. My arms were aching and my throat was so dry that it hurt. An arrow shot on of the men I was duelling, it was a Telmurine arrow too, probably aimed at me but shot by an archer with a bad aim.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see the gate closing. A Minotaur ran to it and wedged himself under it to stop it. He yelled for everyone to get out.

While I was distracted, on of my opponents slashed my side. I screamed in pain.

Never turn your back on your opponent. Edmund's voice played through my mind.

I swung around and stabbed a man in the chest and sliced the other's sword arm. With that I sprinted towards the gate, however my side was hurting too much to run fast.

The minotaur let out a loud groan and collapsed under the gate. It closed completely.

"No!" Everyone stranded had cried. I shook the metal with my hands, screaming for Peter.

He turned around and his eyes widened when he saw me And the rest of the Narnians.

"Alexis!" Caspian shouted, galloping back to me. I reached my hand through to him and he clutched it.