Chapter Sixteen

Edmund's POV

"Are you sure you're eighteen?" The officer asked, raising his eyebrow.

"Why? Do I look older?" I challenged.

He held out his hand for my script. I handed it to him and prayed to Aslan that it would work.

"Alberta Scrubb?"

"It's a typographical error. It's supposed to be Albert A Scrubb." I had this excuse made up for weeks.

"Edmund." My sister called from the door. No Lucy! I was so close.

The officer chuckled and shook his head before handing me Aunt Alberta's paper back.

"Better luck next time, eh, squirt." The man behind me laughed. I glared at him and stalked off.

Lucy and I walked out of the hall. I was fuming. "Squirt! He barely had two years on me! Besides I'm a king! I fought battles, and I've led armies!" I protested.

"Not in this world." Lucy answered, exasperatedly.

I rolled my eyes. How much longer did Aslan expect us to wait? It had been over a year since I had seen Narnia's powerful land, over a year since I had tasted the divine food and talked with the animals. Over a year since I had seen her. Alexis. How much time had passed in Narnia? Enough for Alexis to forget about me and move on? Maybe she had a family of her-

"Edmund!" Lucy interrupted my thoughts. I realised we had arrived back to the house of our Aunt and Uncle and the snob of our cousin.

"Uncle Harold? I'm home!" Lucy announced as we walked in. "They didn't have any carrots, so I got turnips. I hope that's ok?"

Uncle Harold ignored her and continued to read his newspaper.

"Uncle Harold!"

I made a face at him. He deserved it.

"Father! Edmund is making faces at you!"

Ugh. Eustace.

"Why you...!" I trailed off and ran after him.

"Father! He's going to hit me!" Eustace cried.

I raised my fist. Lucy appeared with a smile on her face which distracted me from hitting my useless cousin.

"Edmund! Look it's from Susan!"

---

Lucy read the letter out as I stared subconsciously at the painting on the wall of her room. Lucky her. She didn't have to share with mullet mouth.

"Another few months? How will we survive?" She sighed.

I wasn't really listening. The ship looked very familiar.

"Do you think I look anything like Susan?" She asked. Oh no, not this again.

"Lucy, have you seen this ship before?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Yes, it's very Narnian looking isn't it?" Lucy smiled.

I nodded and walked closer. "Just another reminder that we're here and not there."

"There once were two orphans who wasted their time, believing in Narnian nursery rhymes." Eustace's voice came from the door.

"Please let me hit him?" I begged.

"No!" Lucy answered.

"Don't you ever knock?" I asked as Eustace walked through the doorway and sat on Lucy's bed.