Chapter Fourteen

~~~~Three Years Later~~~~

"King Caspian!" The doors opened and Caspian walked through proudly, his gold crown on his head and Peter's sword attached to his waist.

"And by his side, Queen Regent and High Knight, Alexis, the Fearless."

That was my cue. I walked into the room, hundreds of people were gathered, there was a small aisle which allowed us to walk to our thrones. People always assumed Caspian and I to be husband and wife as we were always by each other's side. But every time we would remind people that no, we were not married, just strong rulers who were friends. I had to laugh each time, back in England that would not have been allowed.

I reached my throne and sat down. I had been forced into a dress for this occasion, much to my dislike. This was to be the first ball and feast to be held at the new Cair Paravel. Caspian and I had succeeded in our alliances with the surrounding countries and were able to gather the materials to rebuild and restore the Golden Age castle. Using descriptions, passed through Narnian storytelling and rhymes, as blueprints, it closely resembled the former Cair Paravel.

"Kings, Queens, Princes, Princesses and all other Royalty who have gathered here today, thank you and welcome." Caspian announced.

"Tonight we drink and feast to our successful and close alliances with Archenland, Tashbaan and Calormene. Without their help, we wouldn't be sitting in this castle today." I added.

"Let the feast begin!"

---

The night was filled with laughter, cheering, music and dancing. I was given numerous marriage proposals during the night from Lords, Princes' and Kings. All which I politely declined. They weren't Edmund.

"Caspian. I think it would be less painful if you cut off my feet. Do it quickly."

We were sitting in the library, it was 3am in the morning. Everyone had finally left or gone to bed and the castle once quiet once again.

"They can't be that bad. They're just shoes." Caspian chuckled.

I raised an eyebrow. "Really? Ok, I will go find a size that is too small for you and then you can walk around in heels for six hours."

"Kidding, kidding!"

"That's what I thought." I growled.

Caspian and I had a habit of doing this whenever we needed too. We would go to the library, usually this occurred late at night until very early in the morning. we would shut the doors and forget that we were King and Queen Regent. It was nice. Like a huge weight had been lifted off our shoulders. Here we would laugh, and have meaningful conversations. Usually resulting in us talking about Edmund or Susan, and how we couldn't have them.

"Do you ever regret your decision to stay, Alex?" Caspian suddenly asked me.

Did I?

"No. Well, maybe sometimes. But I have to remind myself of the accomplishments that we have both achieved in these three years. Narnia is once again a peaceful place."

"I admire you."

"You do?"

He nodded. "I think if I had the option, I would have followed Susan. But you, you put others before yourself, and that is...I don't even know if there is a word, selfless doesn't even cover it."

"Oh Caspian." I felt the tears about to fall.

He smiled slightly, though I could see the pain behind it. I loved him. But not in that way anymore. I loved him because he was like a brother, he was family. He had been here for me in the past three years, and I couldn't thank him enough.

I yawned and rested my head against his shoulder. More nights than one, we have both fallen asleep here during our conversations. But we didn't mind.

---

"I have reasons to believe that the Seven Lords of Telmar fled to these islands, or beyond. And I want to find out what happened to them. I plan to set out on the Dawn Treader this coming Monday." Caspian said, rolling up his map.

"Monday? That's two days away!"

"Sorry, this is kind of late notice, but I would like you to accompany me."

"Caspian, I am honoured that you would consider me apart of your crew, but what about Cair Paravel? We can't leave her without a ruler."

"I have already considered that. Glenstorm and Trumpkin have accepted my offer to lead Narnia while we are away. If there is any word of an attack, we will be notified at once and return home."

I bit my lip. It was a risky decision.

"Think about it. I want your decision by morning." Caspian pleaded eagerly and then hurried away. I could see how very excited he was.

But the last time that Narnia was abandoned, the Telmarines attacked.

You're not abandoning it. My subconscious reminded me.

I groaned and walked to my chamber, I fell onto my bed and grasped my hair. I had cut it since it had grown too long. It was now just past my shoulders, but thankfully still long enough to wear it in a braid.

The three years had been peaceful, well almost. The Giants from the North surrendered, but that was our only battle. Edmund would be proud.

Edmund.

I was beginning to lose hope with seeing him again. Aslan said I would, and I trust him, but he could have meant that I would see him one last time, on my deathbed.

_____________
Yay! Another chapter! Thank you for all the votes and reads!! I really appreciate them!! Don't forget to keep it up!!

I'll update again soon!

Hope you liked it :)

H x