Chapter Twenty-Five

"Eustace! Come back!" I screamed at the dragon. He flew towards the tiny source of light and disappeared, taking the seventh sword with him.

The Sea Serpent dived over the Dawn Treader, I ducked but threw my sword arm up, hoping to hit it. But unfortunately I missed.

"Edmund, we will lure it to the rocks, can you get its attention?" Caspian yelled. Edmund nodded. My stomach lurched as he climbed to the front of the boat, please look after him, Aslan.

I dodged the tail of the beast and held onto one of the ropes. We pulled tight and the Sea Serpent screeched.

"Now Ed!" I screamed, hoping he would strike. But he stared into nothing. He was seeing something in the green mist, I knew.

"Edmund!" Caspian yelled.

The rope snapped and the Sea Serpent broke free.

Then Edmund's sword glowed a bright blue. "Over here!" He shouted. The serpent hissed and opened its mouth, aiming for Edmund. I closed my eyes, not wanting to see what happened next.

There was a loud screech. Around me, the crewmen applauded. I looked up to see the serpent crash into the waves. Edmund hurried down to the main deck. I rushed to him and threw my arms around him before bringing his lips to mine. He chuckled against me and ran his fingers through my hair. "I told you we would be ok."

I smiled. "I love you."

"And I love you."

"The spell! It's lifting!" Lucy exclaimed. The light was breaking through the darkness and the mist was clearing.

Dozens of rowboats appeared in the water around us. Gael hurried to the edge of the boat.

"Can you see her?" I asked.

Gael's eyes searched the boats and her face suddenly lit up. "Mummy!"

"Helaine!" Mr Rhince cried. The two jumped into the water and began to swim to the closest rowboat.

Edmund stood beside Lucy, he wrapped an arm around her. It was then that I knew he wasn't going to be staying in Narnia, I would have to follow him. Caspian wrapped an arm around me and pulled me close. I rested my head on his shoulder and sighed.

"Hey! Lucy! Edmund! Over here!" A voice shouted. We all turned and hurried to the port side. Eustace was treading water, waving out to us.

"Eustace!" Lucy laughed.

"I'm a real boy again!" He exclaimed.

Reepicheep dashed past me and leapt into the water. "Eustace, I see your wings have been clipped! Where the sky and water meets, the waves grow ever sweet...the water...it is sweet!"

---

"Ed?" I whispered, that night as he lay in my bed, protecting me from the nightmares which were sure to come. But I felt at ease, as they were possibly only cause from the green mist. We had defeated it now, the world was peaceful once again.

"Mmm?"

I propped myself up on my elbow. "Don't force yourself to stay here."

"What do you mean?"

"You said you'd follow me wherever I may go, but I don't want that. I want you to go where it makes you happy."

He smiled and brushed my hair away from my face. "You make me happy."

"Edmund...you cheeseball." I laughed and returned my head to his chest. I could hear his heart thumping. He softly played with my hair. "I could come back, you know."